Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a hard drive with a working XP partition

• Please log in to reply

sjclar00

sjclar00

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've got a working XP system with one drive divided into a system partition and an mp3/video storage partition. I want to upgrade the hard drive and do a fresh install to the new hard drive.

Once it's up and running, I want to add the original hard drive back in for extra storage. I will obviously want to delete the partition on the old drive that contains the original XP install, but I want to keep the partition with my music and videos. When I add the old drive back in, will I have problems with Windows trying to load XP or registry keys from the old drive? I've heard that having two copies of the registry on a system can lead to the corruption of both. I assume if I add the old drive as the slave to the new drive, the old drive will never get a chance to boot, then I'll just move the mp3s off the storage partition and repartition the old drive. Am I right?

Any comments would be appreciated.

-Sean

Advertisements

timetowaste

timetowaste

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Just remove the partition containing the old windows and leave all you data on the other partition. I'd remove it before installing new harddrive just to be safe (together).