Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Monitor lost signal from HDMI mid use. I cannot figure out what is goi

• Please log in to reply

mockingbird

mockingbird

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I was playing a game on my PC when my screen went blue, and my monitor told me that it wasn't receiving a signal through the HDMI port. I plugged in a DVI cable and am getting the same thing. Is there any way to know what went wrong or what died?

I took my PC outside today for it's monthly cleaning with an air compressor. I have been doing this with this build for going on two years and this is the first time something has happened like this. I'm not sure if it's related. I left my system in the garage for ~20 minutes at 35 degrees while I ran a quick errand.

Mobo is ASRock 870 extreme3. GPU is EVGA Geforce 460 SSC+.

There was a screen regarding the CMOS when I first booted it up after cleaning. I hit F1 and continued with no issue. About 30 minutes later I lost HDMI signal. I removed the battery from the mobo to reset the BIOS with no luck.

So any idea what died? My monitor isn't getting a signal at all. It doesn't even show the boot. I've tried another monitor and it doesn't work either.

Any idea what died?

Edited by mockingbird, 22 March 2013 - 09:17 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hello mockingbird

Sorry to hear that you are having computer issues :(

Do you normally hear a single beep when the computer boots up successfully.

Please provide the brand and model name or number of the PSU and the Ram details.

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I honestly don't remember if it beeped when I boot it up normally before this happened. I don't think it did.

My PSU is a Cooler Master 650W 80 Plus. Model RS-650-ACAA-E3.

I have 8GB (4x2GB sticks) of G.Skill DDR3 RAM. Model F3-10666CL9A-GBNS

edit: Just realized something that might help. On the bottom right corner of my mobo there is an LED display. It displays numbers (assuming CPU temp but I don't know). Now that display is just displaying gibberish and is changing randomly every second or so.

Edited by mockingbird, 23 March 2013 - 10:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
What you are describing sounds like the Dr. Debug (LED) see page 29 onwards of the MB manual http://www.asrock.co...me3/?cat=Manual

Have you tried reseating each Ram stick to ensure that they are securely in place and making a good contact with the DIMM slots.

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright. I think I may have figured it out. I reseated all the RAM yesterday as I was trying to troubleshoot and it made no difference. However, per your suggestion I reseated the RAM again. This time I put each in a different slot than what it was in prior. The system booted without a hitch. As of now it has been running for about 30 minutes with no issues. Fingers crossed.

Edited by mockingbird, 23 March 2013 - 03:49 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Thanks for the update and yes fingers crossed :thumbsup:

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So it looks as though my issue has been fixed. Thanks for the assistance Rage. I don't know if you guys close tickets that have been resolved or not but if you do you can do that now.

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Thanks for the follow up mockingbird :thumbsup:

Topics are not closed here at GTG unless by specific request of the OP to a Mod or Admin, they simply move down the board.

As ever you are welcome BTW and you know where we are if you need us :thumbsup:

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So this problem is back. This time it worked perfectly fine last night. I put it to sleep and went to bed. I woke up this morning and was going to pay some bills online before getting ready for work. Low and behold it doesn't work. I turned it off. Let it sit for about 30 seconds and rebooted. It boots fine. Still no signal to the monitor though. I rebooted with all the RAM removed. Still not working. As of now I'm about to head to work. I'll try reseating the GPU when I get home. In the interim are there any suggestions as to what might be causing this if not the RAM?

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well this time it seems reseating the GPU fixed the problem.

Does anyone have any insight as to what might be causing this? Last week it was the RAM. This weeks it was the GPU. Is my mobo on the fritz or something? This is literally the first hardware issue I've had with this build in the two years since I built it. In fact, this system has pretty much been the best build I've ever owned. The lone issue I've ever had with it was a corrupted driver about a year ago.

edit: I also un-overclocked the CPU. The overclocking was minor (3.2 to 3.4), but maybe it will improve stability.

Edited by mockingbird, 29 March 2013 - 01:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hello again mockingbird

I would suggest that you go into the BIOS and restore the MBs default settings, with any O/Cing comes the risk of instability and it can be fine one day but not the next, also keep in mind that extra voltage puts extra stress on your hardware.

Can I ask what CPU it is that you have.

mockingbird

mockingbird

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a Phenom II X4 955. The stock speed is 3.2GHz. I was running it at 3.4GHz. I put everything back at their default settings. We'll see if it stays stable.

Prior to that I had been running it for months at that speed with no issues whatsoever. I must have hit a breaking point.

Edited by mockingbird, 31 March 2013 - 10:40 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Just a FYI, pushing things to work outside their normal footprint accelerates the end of life expectancy of the hardware and this is often caused by the extra heat that is created by the extra voltage/s.