Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Factory Restore| Windows Vista| HP Pavillion dv16 Laptop

• Please log in to reply

nosepickings

nosepickings

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had been facing problem with powering up Windows since last 6 months. Generally, waiting for few number of reboots or at times, start up repair did the trick. I had no issue ( though frustating at times ) since there was no loss of data. But recently, it completely gave up. This time start up repair or rebooting did not work. I tried to Restore to Factory Settings using Recovery Manager. The recovery Manager started good and went ahead to complete 100%. There after, whhile there was actual restoring of files, some error occured which eventually led to shutdown. The error was showing in the comand prompt window. Kindly tell how can I overcome this.
PS: The DVD drive doesnt work even. SO no option of restoring from DVD drive.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
:welcome:

I suspect that you either have a bad HDD or a damaged/corrupt OS on the HDD.

Can you start in Safe Mode http://windows.micro...er-in-safe-mode skip step one.

nosepickings

nosepickings

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I too feel the same. When I am trying to restore to factory settings, the error which I am facing is showing in the details log as "QFE Offline installation" . Is this related to any problem with the OS or the corrupt HDD ? Can I download some files or anything which will let me fix this issue ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hello,

I asked if you could start in Safe Mode, what is the answer please http://windows.micro...er-in-safe-mode there are other options you can try there also.

First of all the most important question for me to ask, is there data on the HDD that you would like to try and secure.

Can I ask if you know what the problem is with the DVD drive.