Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer has no video output whatsoever. Help!

• Please log in to reply

EvanKlugDotCom

EvanKlugDotCom

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there. It's my first post here, so if it's in the wrong section/forum/whatever, sorry about that. :)

I am trying to set up a computer to be a server to host XChat or Gaming servers (Such as Team Fortress 2 or Minecraft servers)
But no matter what I try I get no output of video. The power button stays orange as if nothing is happening.
I can hear it booting, the hard drive sound, the CD drive spinning, etc.

This computer worked last month, and I didn't touch anything in it at all since then.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Trying different monitors. Same thing happens.
2. Trying different cables. One of my VGA cables stopped working one time, so I'm not sure. I also switched from VGA to DVI and still no output.
3. Tried switching the video card. I switched from a nice gaming video card to an old crappy one I found in the garage. Nope.
4. Changed orientation of the computer. I just kind of ran out of ideas. It has fixed an Xbox before, so it was worth a shot.

I am out of ideas. If you have any idea what the problem could be, please reply. It would make me really happy if I got it working.

Thanks a lot,
Evan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
:welcome: EvanKlugDotCom

In case of a bad MB setting remove the MBs CMOS battery for a few minutes and the replace it, see attachment below, while you are there remove the Ram, blow out the slot/s then reseat the Ram securely and finally check that all internal connections are securely connected.

Couple of questions if I may;
What is the brand and model name or number of the MB.
What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.
How much Ram do you have.

EvanKlugDotCom

EvanKlugDotCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey. Thanks for replying so quickly.

I removed the battery and set it on a table for 5 minutes then inserted it back in.
Also, I removed all the RAM and reseated it.
Tried booting up with the same problem; no video output.

I have 4 1GB Sticks of DDR PC-2700 RAM
I'm not exactly sure where to find what kind of motherboard I have, but near the center it says "Dell E210882"
It also says on a sticker "REV .A02"

Sorry, I'm not sure exactly where to look. :)
Thanks a lot for the help though.

-Evan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
The details that I could find for the MB are inconsistent I`m afraid.

Can I ask does the MB normally beep once when it boots up successfully and does it have an onboard video chip.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

EvanKlugDotCom

EvanKlugDotCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The video card is not onboard. It is seperate. Remember I mentioned I switched it out?

No, It does not beep at startup. But I noticed now it beeps twice at startup.

What does that mean?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

The video card is not onboard. It is seperate. Remember I mentioned I switched it out?

Yep and you will recall I said "The details that I could find for the MB are inconsistent I`m afraid."
The MB at the attached link is meant to be the same as yours and if you check you will see the blue video port clearly http://www.ebay.com/...=item20d09b438d I had my doubts though as you have 4 1GB Sticks of DDR PC-2700 RAM but that MB only has two memory slots.

Two beeps is a Ram error, please refer to my canned text below;

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.
Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.
Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.
Power up the computer and see how it goes.
Make a note of the results.
Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.
Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.
Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.
Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

EvanKlugDotCom

EvanKlugDotCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ah, sorry about that. Didn't mean to frustrate you :/

I'll do the RAM tests, and I'll reply back here. Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
No problem as you did not :thumbsup:

I will look out for your next update when you are ready to reply.

EvanKlugDotCom

EvanKlugDotCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It may sound weird, but the beeps have stopped completely without me even doing anything.
So it doesn't beep anymore, but there is still no video output. So, I did the RAM tests to see if that's what it was, nope.
I did everything in the step by step list above and still no luck.

Is my computer dead? :(

EvanKlugDotCom

EvanKlugDotCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oop. Hold that thought.

Turns out my motherboard WAS dead, as I had predicted.
I moved everything from that computer to an old one I found in my garage.

IT WORKS PERFECTLY.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. It means a lot.
I will definitely be coming back to this forum. I copied and pasted my initial post to Bleepingcomputer.com's forum, and they STILL haven't responded, and here you are, responding less than 30 minutes from my post.

Bye!
-Evan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
Thanks for the follow up EvanKlugDotCom :thumbsup:

Not an ideal outcome but thankfully you had a spare MB that was compatible with your hardware.

You are welcome BTW and you know where we are should you need us :thumbsup: