Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows shut down hanging

• Please log in to reply

kmull

kmull

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am new to this site and am sorry if tihis is an old subject. 2 issues not sure if they are related. Running XP pro version SP2 , this was working fine, now windows will not shut down and hangs in the blue screen "windows is shutting down" I have to push in the power button for a few secs. I tried to see if a program is still running that will not let it shut down but can't see anything.

2nd issue don't know if its related. after I manually shut it down and then start it up I get the found new hardware wizard stating a mass usb storage device is installed. I let it try to find it using the wizard and it will run for days if I let it. I cant figure out what the heck its trying to install. I did add a 4 port usb 2.0 port a long time ago and never had an issue. Used the install from a disc option but with no luck when I put in my belken install disk. Is this related to the shutdown issue.

I really sick of this problem and need help !!

Thanks

Advertisements

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
As for the shutdown problem....a corupt sound file can cause the problem. Unpatched Roxio software can also cause the problem.

You can go into the BIOS and disable Plug and Play. That will stop the usb install....