Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Check Disk error on external hard disk

• Please log in to reply

Andrewchan

Andrewchan

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am having problem with my Toshiba hard disk. When ever I am copying a big file to it, it runs fast until it reached approx 95% and then it takes a long long time before it completes. If I copy two big files at a time, it will do the same at the end of each files. I have tried running error check a few times and attached is the report. If I tick the "scan for and recovery of bad sectors", it will again take a long time. Is the hard disk permanently damaged or just requiring a re-formatting?

Attached Thumbnails

• Checkdisk.png

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It is indicated that you have a "Volume Bitmap is Incorrect" message, therefore have a read of this from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976329

Andrewchan

Andrewchan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks but doesnt help much as I am not sure on how to "hotfix". Will a reformat on my external hard disk work? or is there any freeware that will help fix this?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Can you show me a screen shot of what the external disk looks like in Disk Management please.

Andrewchan

Andrewchan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
after much frustration and a reformat, all problem seems to have gone. Thanks anyway.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Thank you for letting us know. :thumbsup: