Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on first build

• Please log in to reply

Shatto

Shatto

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey guys, I decided about a month ago that I wanted to save up for a new, preferably game capable computer so instead of wasting $500 on a cheap laptop from Walmart just cause it was newer than my 5 year old PC and the little netbook I'm using right now, I decided to try my hand at building my own PC. I have the parts picked out and have a budget of about $2k

Put it this way I can barely run Minecraft on the computers I own now so I'd like this thing to have some kick if I can afford it. It will be for gaming mostly, hopefully MMOs, Skyrim, maybe Battlefield 3 if possible. I do realize that it's overkill on a strictly gaming basis but I will be doing other stuff like game programming and 3D modeling and some video editing. I would also like some suggestions for 120mm and 200mm red LED fans for the top and side of my case

I'd appreciate any feedback on the build and please let me know if I should change something, thank you.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Cooling MX-2 4g Thermal Paste ($4.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($111.01 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.50 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Z PCIe 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Apevia CF4SL-URED 25.6 CFM 80mm Fan ($5.79 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Apevia CF4SL-URED 25.6 CFM 80mm Fan ($5.79 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($166.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On IHBS312-98 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($89.97 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Full (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor ($157.58 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Cooler Master CM Storm Sentinel Advance II Wired Laser Mouse ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1954.51
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-26 04:40 EDT-0400)

Edited by Shatto, 26 March 2013 - 02:45 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hello Shatto

A good list of parts but also some unnecessary items and one that could cause you grief by invalidating your CPU warranty, couple of comments not criticisms about some parts on your list;

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

3TBs of data is a lot to loose should the drive fail so consider X3 1TB HDDs.

Most MBs today have very good integrated audio chips and unless you are willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money on an add on sound card you will struggle to find better, see if you are happy with the MBs audio chip first but if not then fit an add on sound card.

Other items that could be done away with include the Thermal compound as the stock heatsink supplied with the CPU has a thermal pad pre applied and the additional case fans if you choose a case with a better cooling system fitted as standard, many are available with red LEDs if that is a must.

The money saved would allow you to upgrade to a 4GB GTX 670 which is a monster of a card http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

An alternative list of parts http://pcpartpicker....ower2/saved/ynl

Shatto

Shatto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Great advice thanks!

You suggested a nvidia GPU, I have to admit I don't know much about nvidia. I know for the most part how to read AMD GPUs but have no idea when to comes to nvidia, would you be willing to help a little with that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Yes I will help you and should I not be around due to time zone differences etc someone else is usually on hand,

Benchmarks for you to look over http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

You are welcome BTW and any questions please let us know :thumbsup:

Shatto

Shatto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
So according to the benchmarks Nvidia seems to have better performance than Radeon? Is also cheaper but has less GB. Would going with a 2GB 670 really be better overall than with a 3GB 7970? I also heard that gigabyte has pretty much voltage locked most of their 7970's is this true and does it matter?

Edited by Shatto, 26 March 2013 - 09:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
The number and the size of screens that you will be using needs to be taken into account as does the amount of programs you plan to have running at the same time, 2GB of VRam is fine for most users and if you let us know your plans we will better placed to point you in the right direction.

Tweaking voltages is something that overclockers do and it is not something I am keen on so I am not able to shed any light on locked voltages I`m afraid, I prefer stability and would rather pay for guaranteed out of the box performance.

Shatto

Shatto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
For now only one monitor probably something more or less like this http://pcpartpicker....-monitor-vh238h
In the future I do want at least one more monitor, I'll probably be running a game, a browser with a few tabs, steam and skype, that's pretty much what I do now with of course my netbook locking up from time to time because of it.

There are so many suggestions for video cards, I think this is gonna be the hardest decision of my build >.<
I prefer something on the high end side, maybe around $300-$400? I really want to make sure the games I run will be able to run smoothly at mid to high settings

My job is temporary and whatever I buy now should last me a while because I won't really be able to change my mind later, I do want to SLI or crossfire in the future if I ever get the extra money but right now I think a higher end single video card would be better but I don't know what to pick. AMD or Nvidia, 7970 or 670 and then which brand, Gigabyte, Asus, Evga, etc and then of course 2GB or 3GB?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Certain details that you provided in your OP determined which cards I would have suggested;

I will be doing other stuff like game programming and 3D modeling and some video editing.

Had it not been for this information I would have suggested the GTX 660Ti video card as it would have been suitable for your gaming, the other planned uses require more memory resources and a certain but not lightening speed.

The final choice unfortunately is yours to make but personally I would cover all my bases and opt for the 4GB EVGA over the 3GB HD7970.

Other things to keep in mind are ensuring that whichever card you decide on the MB you choose is SLi or Crossfire capable, if you Crossfire or SLi video cards a PSU upgrade may be required and make sure there is room in the case for any additional card/s.

As an asides I don`t feel you will need a second video card with either the 3GB or 4GB card.

Shatto

Shatto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Unless you think it's really worth it I'd prefer not to spend $500+ for the 4GB evga, if I went with the 7970 what brand would you recommend?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
I would never be so bold as to to advise anyone to pay more than what they felt comfortable with.

You seem intent on the HD7970 but I see the 4GB GTX670 at $449.99 not $500+ http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID= which is $50 more than the HD7970 which you have pointed out people have issues with.

Only because I don`t O/C http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

Advertisements

Shatto

Shatto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay thanks I have decided to bite the price and get the 670 since I think the extra GB will be more useful than a few more MHz that the 7970 which I probably won't notice anyway, should I buy it from somewhere else or wait till newegg has it back in stock?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Just wanted to ask whether you are aware that the 2GB version of the GTX670 card is good for games across three monitors.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Shatto Posted ImagePhillpower2

A round up, > http://www.tomshardw...eview,3217.html

Can you give us your post code please?

Shatto

Shatto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Post code? You mean like Zip code?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes, zi code. Some stores have special offers, Pick Up Only.