Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DDR Ram

• Please log in to reply

adejones

adejones

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Guys
I've just had a delivery of new PC's from our local IT supplier to the office, i'm trying to arrange them so that the least used PC's will be basic specs and put some extra memory taken from these in to PC's that will be used for more intense stuff (like mine).

However, have just upgraded one from 4gb to 6gb and on switching it on, the BIOS tells me that there are 2 sticks present (4gb and 2gb) but when I actually log in, the task manager is saying there is only 3.5gb memory available.

I am thinking that perhaps the IT supplier have put a cap on this. Is this possible and if so, how do I remove this?

Just to clarify, they may have done this as the computers remain property of them until the time comes when they are outdated and replaced again.

Thanks, Adrian

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello adejones

What OS are you using (XP, Vista, W7 or W8 etc) and is it 32 or 64-bit.

adejones

adejones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hello adejones

What OS are you using (XP, Vista, W7 or W8 etc) and is it 32 or 64-bit.

It's XP Pro SP3 (not sure if 32-bit or 64-bit) on a Intel Pentium CPU G2020 2.90GHz with 6GB RAM (although only displaying 3.39GB)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
If "x64 Edition" is listed under System, you’re running the 64-bit version of Windows XP.
If you don’t see "x64 Edition" listed under System, you’re running the 32-bit version of Windows XP.
The edition of Windows XP you're running is displayed under System near the top of the window.

adejones

adejones

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I couldn't see it when I checked (not in the office now) so I'm presuming that means I'm running 32bit in which case I'm also presuming that means xp 32 bit doesn't support more than 3.5gb ram and that is the problem, not that the IT guys would have put a cap on memory.

Is there a way to make 32-bit xp run with 6gb ram and if not, is it easy enough to upgrade to 64-bit xp without affecting anything, the pc is on a network with a server running windows server 2003 and all other computers running 32-bit xp.

I really want my computer to be as good as possible performance wise hence my desperation for upgraded memory :-)

Adrian

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Microsoft explains it better than I can http://msdn.microsof...mits_windows_xp please also refer to the Community Additions area as there is a lot of helpful information there.

One thing to keep in mind is that the software that is used in your office may not be compatible with a 64-bit OS, this is something that your IT department should be taking care of BTW.