Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Confused About PSU Electrical ...

• Please log in to reply

LynetteArdelle

LynetteArdelle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So, I am all about the hardware, when it comes to electrical I get all worked up and over-think things because I REALLY don't want to fry anything. I just bought the last piece to my gaming PC, and now that I've got it all put together I've realized I need a more powerful PSU than my 500W the case combo came with. I've got a board that has the following options (minus all the headers):

1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector
1 x PCIe power connector

I have been looking at ordering this power supply with these options:

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 8-Pin (4+4) CPU
1 x 12V (8-Pin)

I understand where the main connector goes (that's kind of a "duuur"). I don't understand where the 8-pin (4+4) CPU goes and the 12v 8-pin goes on this board because there seems to only be one 6-pin plugin. Here is a detailed view of the motherboard:

http://www.gigabyte....880&dl=1#manual

Am I looking at the wrong PSU, or am I overlooking something here? Do one of those not need to be plugged in? I've got an expensive 8 core processor, and I don't want to fry any of my other expensive components! I am also running two SLI-ready video cards.

Edited by LynetteArdelle, 26 March 2013 - 07:15 PM.

Advertisements

LynetteArdelle

LynetteArdelle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I meant I only see one 8-pin plugin on the board ... not 6-pin.

Veeg

Veeg

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hello..

I suggest that you find a PSU with a main connector (20&24 pin) a 8 pin connector and a 6 pin connector and of course all PSU's come with the molex connectors for the HDD and your cd/dvd drive...Most newer PSU's have the 6 and 8 pin connectors that divide so if you need a 4 pin like for your cpu you can use it there and the same for the 6 pin... Also in looking for the correct wattage,you should look at the correct amps on the 12 volt...i would suggest you go with at least 25 amps plus on the 12 volt... A 600 watt or higher should do you just fine.. A note here your graphics card will dictate what size PSU you will need to get..

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.
Please give the brand and model number of the GPUs, and are they identical?
If you would like to list all the parts for your build, we can calculate the size and type of PSU required.
Below, block diagram of your Mobo.