Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No system sounds - Other sounds OK -Cannot preview sounds

• Please log in to reply

NewBernTech

NewBernTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
iammykyl, thanks for your input. Checked the logs and didn't find anything related to the issue. Actually the logs were some of the cleanest logs I've seen. Regarding removing devices in groups, there are no conflicts in device manager and some sounds play. So I do not see device conflicts as the issue. Repair install will remove Windows updates back to the version of the disk used for the install. So if SP3 was installed and an SP1 disk is used, all updates after SP1 would have to be reinstalled. The sounds were not playing after the repair before the updates were replaced so I see the effort as pretty major with little chance of solving the problem. Again, thanks for the input.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome, sorry I was unable to help, I will keep watching through.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Here are the three ways I have used for various XP no system sound issues in the past:

Before any of these backup your registry.

Option 1

Go here
Download K-Lite Codec Pack
Follow the direction to check the two correct boxes.

Option 2

• Go to Start > Run > type 'regedit'
  • Edit > Find > 'SafeBoot'
  • When the SafeBoot key is found in the registry there should be two subkeys, 'Minimal' and 'Network', if there is a third subkey 'Option', delete the entire option subkey and the problem will be solved

Option 3

This is a registry fix you need to download it and then merge it into your registry and reboot.
Attached File  nosystemsoundxp.reg   1.64KB   283 downloads

NewBernTech

NewBernTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
CompCav
I had already tried the K-Lite codec Pack as I mentioned in my original post. I reinstalled it and used the Codec Tweek Tool fix. However, the options to fix registry is not in the cuttent version of the tool. It lists:"Detect and remove broken VFW/ACM codecs", "Detect and remove broken DirectShow filters", "Re-register base DirectShow filters" and "Clear Windows icon cache". This is in the "Fixes" section. I applied the fixes anyway but no solution.

As to the "Safeboot" registry fix, it was found 3 times but none of them had the third "Option" entry.

The last registry fix I had already tried but I merged the file and rebooted but it did not fix the problem.
I still cannot get the "Voice playback" Default Device to stay when selected. I select the SB device and click apply and it goes blank again. The Play triangle on the sounds tab is still greyed out.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Sorry about the repeat on K-Lite.

Have you tried the fixit here?

NewBernTech

NewBernTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I believe I did run that but I ran it again. It said that the default audio device was not set. It asked me to set it but when I hit apply it goes blank again. If I set it and not apply but continue with the FixIt it reports that the device is not set and that it could not fix it. When I click to see a solution for this specific problem online, it presents the Captcha code but fails to send it to MS when I try to send.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
You could do a comparison of the registry of a working computer with this one and see where the issue is. IMHO this is a registry issue.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Regards,

CompCav

NewBernTech

NewBernTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't think a comparison of two registries will pinpoint the problem. Even with two identical machines, that I don't have, the differences would likely be significant due to different software, settings, etc. If I knew what keys to look at that would help narrow it down but I do not. I thought about using Process Explorer to see what registry values get changed when I set the default device but I can't figure out how to do that. Any help with the registry keys or Process Explorer?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need Process Monitor, not Process Explorer.

Start it, then turn off Capture via Ctrl+E
Click Edit then Clear Display

As soon as you're ready to start the download, press Ctrl+E to start Capture.
Run it through the complete set of the default device and exit to the Desktop, then press Ctrl+E again to turn off Capture.

Use a filter to display only the Regxxxxx operations:
Operation Begins with REG Include
Click File then Save.
Select Events displayed using current filter in PML format.

Zip and upload it here and we can look at it to see if anything shows.

NewBernTech

NewBernTech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
SOLVED!!! :thumbsup:

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I somehow missed the notification that you had responded to my post.
I, of course, meant Process Monitor. That was how I solved this. The important entries the appeared in the Process Monitor results were:

8:29:05.6566084 AM rundll32.exe 1956 RegOpenKey HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Wave Mapper\wdmaud.drv NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
8:29:05.6568420 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 RegQueryValue HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\wavemapper SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 24, Data: msacm32.drv
8:29:05.6568920 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 RegQueryValue HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32\wavemapper SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 24, Data: msacm32.drv
8:29:05.6572577 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND
8:29:05.6575996 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND
8:29:05.6579527 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND
8:29:05.6582041 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND
8:29:05.6585453 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\Documents and Settings\Nancy\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND
8:29:05.6588931 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND
8:29:05.6591892 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND
8:29:05.6595781 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND
8:29:05.6599695 AM Explorer.EXE 1024 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\msacm32.drv NAME NOT FOUND

So it became obvious that the file msacm32.drv was not found. I copied it from an other XP machine and placed it in the System32 folder and got the sound back. I must say that I have NO idea how that file went missing.

Many thanks to those that helped especially Ztrucker who initially picked up the problem and was the final key to the resolution.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Great, thanks for letting us know.