Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer freezes and crashes

• Please log in to reply

abone114

abone114

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
hey,

i just got a new computer not even 2 months ago, it worked great up until about a week ago. now it freezes up and crashes on me a lot. and i mean a complete power shut down. what could be causing this?? i did notice that when i turn off the power to my external hard drive it didnt crash on me, but this could just be a coincidence, any ideas??

thanks a lot

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi abone114. Welcome to Geeks to Go. Does it crash at all when you turn off the power on the external hard drive? If not, you already solved your own problem. It if does, need to look elsewhere. Random crashes/reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply. Start checking these possible causes out to rule each one out.

abone114

abone114

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
thanks a lot, i did notice that it doesnt crash when i turn off the power to the external. so what could this mean? could it be a bad usb port? because i have had the computer for about a month and it just started doing this, and ive had it hooked up to an external harddrive since ive had it...