Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspicious Internet Data usage

• Please log in to reply

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
So it's been about 2 weeks since you the last post. Since that time my data usage has come way down and is under control. That said, online armor is still tracking jumps in Avastsvc.exe at times. If I leave my comp on over night it will often track for 200mb and infrequently up to 600mb of data. An online search suggested that this is probably not actually Avast but that it's Avast watching some other issue and therefore the bandwidth is calculated under it's name. I haven't been able to find a way to identify what the original process actually is. Any ideas?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Turn off BITS again and see if you still get your jumps. If that helps then look at the BITS event logs like we did in post #25 and see what's going on.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
When I'm looking in Online Armor Firewall Status I see this column.

Program PID Downloaded Uploaded Downspeed Upspeed
AvastSvc.exe 2024 226 MB 7.17 MB 36.8 kb/s 1.16kb/s

but these data transfers don't seem to be accounted for in the "inbound data" and "outbound data" graphs at the top. Nor am I seeing usage in the Windows task manager "wireless network connection" graph.

I turned off bits again as suggested and it doesn't change the downspeed of ~36.8 kb/s. Since it wasn't registering on any of the graphs it doesn't make a difference there either.

Is this download actually occurring or is it a reporting error?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Don't really know. I know Avast is always checking for and downloading updates but it appears that the latest update is 84 MB. We can turn it off and see if that stops the traffic. If you have the latest Avast then click on the ball and select Settings in the upper right then click on Software Updater and uncheck the Automatically Download Updates if Possible then OK. See if that stops it.

LANCE_1313

LANCE_1313

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
This doesn't seem to have had any effect. I think I might uninstall Avast completely and see if that data usage is accounted for in some other process. I'll watch it today and be careful what I do while i don't have antivirus up and running.