Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP install quandry

• Please log in to reply

burndout

burndout

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys - I'm new here and need some help, big time. I have built my first computer and have it up and running on Windows 7. I'm now trying to install a dual boot for XP and have hit a roadblock. (Not trying to setup virtual XP under Windows 7, but a completely independent install). I've set up a new partition, formatted it, and it is showing up as my K drive named "Win XP" with 50GB of free space. My XP is "Home" edition, brand new, and is intended for use with a new computer. It has the COA sticker and seems completely legit. I've tried the install with 2 different XP discs and end with the same problem so it must be something I'm doing wrong but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it might be.

When I start the XP installation and boot from the CD, I get the blue screen with "Windows Setup".

Here's where things go off the rails. The procedure states I should now get a EULA license screen and then press F8 where I can select the drive for installation. Instead, I get "Setup is loading files", files loads for about a minute, I get "Setup is starting Windows", then this message:

"A problem has been detected and Widows is shutting down".

It says to check my HD to be sure it is properly configured, (I think it is, it does show up as a healthy volume on "My Computer") and to run CHKDSK/7, which I have, with no errors.

Then, this:

STOP 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Anybody have any suggestions as to where I should look?

Thanks.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8152 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 2047 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 194095 MB, Free - 159928 MB; J: Total - 499999 MB, Free - 499744 MB; K: Total - 49998 MB, Free - 49897 MB; M: Total - 453865 MB, Free - 434669 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., Z77X-UD3H
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2013, Updated and Enabled

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That is a UEFI board:

The revolutionary GIGABYTE 3D BIOS application is based on GIGABYTE UEFI DualBIOS™ technology and is available to consumers in two exclusive modes of interaction, providing enthusiast and mainstream users with a choice of unique and powerful graphical interfaces.

At the heart of this exciting 3D BIOS technology is a pair of physical BIOS ROMs containing GIGABYTE's exclusive in-house designed UEFI BIOS technology.

Here is a good thread to read: z77 chipset and xp

Sounds like at a minimum you need SATA drivers to do the install and I have no idea what is needed to install XP with UEFI instead of BIOS.

Why can't you run this as a virtual client, either XP Mode or a XP Client under Oracle Virtual Box?

burndout

burndout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks much Tech. I've been researching in the mean time and I think you are getting close to the crux of the problem. I'm avoiding a virtual XP Mode because I'm trying to be able to run XP legacy sims that suffer performance issues when run in XP Mode rather than native XP. I'll go down that road tomorrow. Tired enough to have typed "Widows" instead of "Windows". Maybe closer to the truth.