Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc crashing

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Nige,

The PSU is looking like it has issues and possibly caused by it`s age/usage, they have a life expectancy and are normally covered by a set amount of time period warranty or a MTBF (mean time between failures) such as 100,000 hours, please see my canned text below;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.
Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

Advertisements

SlAy3r41

SlAy3r41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi Phill

Looks like you could be right mate.I think I'm gonna have to try to source another PSU from somewhere.I'm internally grateful for all your help with this problem of mine.I think to be fair there is probably no way forward now until I can get hold of a PSU,(which in honesty could be some while).
I will get back to you as soon as i can get 1,(PSU that is :happy:).
Again thx so much for your help with this you is an absolute star Phill :thumbsup:.
BTW what would be the best PSU to get?As in wattage that is.I've not got a clue :blush:

Regards Nige.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Nige,

Before purchasing a new PSU I would have the present one tested by a local tech store, many will do the test for free in the hope of making a sale if your PSU turns out to be bad

For brands of PSU to trust and brands to avoid please refer to the two attached links http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php and http://www.pcmech.co...ad.php?t=208143
PSU database http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm

Before purchasing a new PSU it is advisable that you measure the dimensions of the present PSU and ensure that the new PSU has the correct power connections for the MB, HDDs, optical drives, FDDs or add on cards such as a video card if one is fitted.

Quality brands include Antec, Corsair, OCZ and Seasonic, I would suggest http://www.amazon.co...s=corsair cx500

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

SlAy3r41

SlAy3r41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thx Phill for the post.I will read it when i get a little time tomorrow :thumbsup:.Been abit busy today,(you know the score,missus wanting taking shopping & what - not :whistling:).

Nice links though cheers mate :thumbsup: Regards Nige.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome Nige :thumbsup:

Done the Asda run myself this afternoon, not complaining though as it gets me brownie points with the bride and a reason to let myself get off work early :D

Busy day with meetings tomorrow mate so might not be able to get back to you until later on or Saturday morning.

SlAy3r41

SlAy3r41

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Np Phill,cheers mate.Have a "Good un" :thumbsup: Regards Nige

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
How are things going Nige.