Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Format and reload (Windows XP)

• Please log in to reply

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

I have two relatively old laptops (2005/2006), both of which run Windows XP, which I would like to formant and reload with the original software (I’ve saved all of the relevant data onto an external drive).
It worked well on the oldest of the two – but I’m not getting very far with the other one.

Strange thing is that when I put in the recovery cd and try to boot from the cd in BIOS, nothing happens when I press enter.

However, if I exit BIOS and go into Windows, by accessing the cd via My Computer I can (although I haven't yet) install Windows.

I'm not sure this would have the desired effect, as I'd really like to clear off the hard drive before reinstalling. Would I automatically clear off the hard drive if I install Windows this way, or would it be just an 'overwrite' of what's already on there, leaving any non-Windows files unaffected?

TIA

RSP

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Using a Recovery disk to install XP will not work Red.

You will need the original Retail or OEM disk to do so.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi Wolfey,

That's strange, I used the recovery disc for the older laptop and it appears to be ok.

Besides, I had them both wiped and reinstalled at a local computer shop once already and that also worked out ok.

I don't have any other discs, so am I stuck now?

TIA

RSP

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
So in theory both machines are now working so forgive me if I'm missing what the problem is now.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I had them done at a local pc shop a few years ago but have since moved and can't therefore go back there, so they've been in a 'clogged up' state for a while - I've no choice but to try to sort them out myself.

I formatted and reloaded the older one last week, but the other one doesn't seem to want to play along if I follow some of the video examples on Youtube (example: ).

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Describe if you will what exactly is stated on the XP disk that you do have please.

For example does it look like this.

Dell is only an example.

Posted Image

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Not sure this will work, but I've attached a scan image of the disc.

RSP

Attached Thumbnails

• Amilo Disc.jpg

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok

That is a Fujitsu OEM disk and would be ok to use, however can I ask a couple of questions first.

Did the shop use their own software to do the reinstalls way back?

What are the makes of these two laptops?

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

The oldest is a Toshiba A40, which was the cheapest laptop in the shop at the time I bought it.

The other one is a Fujitsu/Siemens Amilo Pro V2030.

They both also had RAM upgrades when I got them wiped for the first time and they both came back lightening fast. I can't say with certainty, but I'm fairly sure I gave them the discs to do the reinstall and they didn't use their own software.

RSP

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well you cannot use that disk that you showed on the Toshiba machine as it's strictly for a Fujitsu machine.

Did they return the XP disk for the Toshiba machine after they had reinstalled?

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

Yes, I have the disc for the Toshiba and have successfully formatted/reloaded that one, so no problem there.

My difficulty is formatting and reloading the Fujitsu. It doesn't do anything when I want it to boot from the cd in BIOS.

RSP

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Like you said in your initial post these machine are getting long in the tooth and it may be a possibility that the cdrom drive in the Fujitsu may not be reading the disk.

However when you have set the cdrom drive as the first boot option are you saving the setting by usually pressing F10?

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Excellent, the F10 bit was what I was missing.

Problem solved and laptop formatted, thanks!

RSP

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
That's great to hear Red. :thumbsup: