Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor barely shows picture (brightness!)

• Please log in to reply

rei158

rei158

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
My monitor was showing picture just fine yesterday evening, now it's very very dark, I don'tsee anything, but it shows picture--if i open something with a white background, it shows it very barely. If I turn on the monitor, it shows the desktop as it should be but then just turns darker. Tried the same with a laptop, same problem. The brightness is maxed in the monitor menu, can't find a solution. Searched that it may be some bad circuits or bad/stuffed filter..

Samsung SyncMaster 943bw 1440x900

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
What is the model name or number of the MSI MB that you have, include any rev number such as rev 1.0 etc.

This issue may be related to your earlier topic http://www.geekstogo...33#entry2275333

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It sounds to me like the inverter has failed Rei, however you could try hooking the monitor to a laptop or other desktop machine and see if you get the same thing.

If you do then it's time to throw it in the trash and get a new one.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Well I said earlier that the same thing is with a laptop. Hmm, should be from 945GCM7 series, MS-7507. Rev should be 1.0 --According to the manual.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The manual also shows that the MB has an integrated video chip so I suggest that you remove the add on Nvidia GTX 460 video card and see if the problem is resolved, do you require guidance on safely removing the add on video card and using the MBs VGA port.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yes I do.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Excuse the title of the tutorial http://www.dummies.c...r-computer.html
Follow all steps with the exception of adding a card and simply reverse that part.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Oh, I understood it wrong, thought u meas0t to remove VGA port from nvidia but then realised that nvidia IS the add on.Hmm same result with MB VGA.

Edited by rei158, 31 March 2013 - 05:05 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Has the add on video card been physically removed from the computer and not just had the cable removed and then connected to the MBs VGA port.

While the case is open remove and re-seat the Ram stick/s, check that all internal connections are securely in place and finally check the condition of the video cable, this includes making sure that there are no bent pins in the end connections, when you reconnect them finger tighten them only.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yes, removed the card out of it's slot. Erm, well this would be the 1st time I touch RAM. It's kind of hard to get to the RAM, all the wires aare in the way + the HDD.. The cable seems fine at the moment. Is the RAM neccessary?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If removing the Ram is a problem do you at least have room to make sure it is securely in place as in the locking devices on the end of the DIMM slots locked securely.

If the Ram does look secure you are left with two possible culprits the HDD or the data on it which I suspected had issues at your earlier topic, the other possible cause is the PSU.

Can you start in Safe Mode to see if the problem is present.

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Hmm, what was the shortcuts to go into that mode, cause it already goes darker after showing the boot image of MSI at boot. And I think the monitor is the problem. Because the computer is shut down and if I then turn the monitor on, it does the same thing, the menu is also dark ... Erm, right now I messed with the monitor-- pressed the source button(though i did that earlier and alot) and the picture is OK again 0.o..... So I think maybe some kind of connection is a bity faulty in the monitor...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Try F8 for Safe Mode.

As the problem is reproduced on an alternative screen it points away from the Samsung SyncMaster and more to other hardware or software that is on the HDD, this includes Windows own generic and other video drivers.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Let's be absolutely crystal clear on this issue Rei.

You said that you attached the monitor as an external monitor to a known good working laptop and the picture was still as bad yes?

rei158

rei158

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Yes that is true.