Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help to improve my pc

• Please log in to reply

Jimklol

Jimklol

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
hi guys i want to improve my pc for gaming i have a budget of 500$

my current system

CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo [email protected]
GPU:Nvidia Geforce 9500GT
ram:2Gb
PSU:i don't know

i'm waiting for your answers with suggestions

thanks in advance

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Jimklo

Can you run Speccy for us and post the url so we can get the MB and HDD etc details http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

Two things that Speccy cannot tell us are 1: the brand, model name or number and output of the PSU, you will need to do a physical check by removing the side of the case, make a note of the details and then post them with a reply. 2: The size and type of your case, is it a full tower, mid tower or SFF (small form factor).

NB: What OS are you using and do you have a full retail installation disk, if you don`t and you replace the MB you will need to purchase an OS and product key or use a free Linux type OS.

Jimklol

Jimklol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
how can i find my case type and size is there a way? i use windows vista and i don't have an installation disk so i need to purchase an OS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Is the computer a custom build or a brand name such as Dell or HP for example.

If you provide the Speccy url we will have the MB details and will be able to determine if it is the mATX or ATX type which then gives an idea of the case type/size.

Please note that we cannot make any upgrade suggestions until we know the PSU details because if that also needs upgrading it reduces your budget for the other upgrades.

Jimklol

Jimklol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
the computer in not a brand name

my MB is the Manufacturer:Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd
Model:EP31-DS3L (Socket 775)

and my PSU is 500W

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I was hoping that the MB could be kept and the CPU and Ram upgraded but having checked this determined it is not a viable option, what we do now know is that your case will accept an ATX MB so we have a starting point at least.

We need to know the brand name of the PSU as some of them are not capable pf putting out the claimed wattage and TBH some you couldn`t trust as a doorstop, example

If you are able to re-use the HDD and optical drive/s it will help get you better upgrades, is re-using them an option?

I will put you a list of parts together to look over and post back when I have them.

Jimklol

Jimklol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
the brand of psu is not a known brand is from a company here in greece where i got my computer

for the HDD and optical drive it's definitely an option to reuse them

Edited by Jimklol, 31 March 2013 - 05:50 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Your budget of $500 is = to around 390 euros is that what I am working with, would shipping to Greece via Amazon be a problem.

As a safety measure I suggest that we check the performance of the present PSU;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Jimklol

Jimklol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
here is the picture

speedfan1.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Your budget of $500 is = to around 390 euros is that what I am working with, would shipping to Greece via Amazon be a problem.

Can you answer each question as they are asked please, thanks.

You have high temperatures showing and the +12V rail is throwing out a bad reading so as I suggested previously we need you to run HWMonitor and provide a screenshot for us so that we have a comparison to Speedfan http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html Remove Speedfan as you see fit.

As an asides I asked you previously twice to provide a Speccy url for us http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web
You could have saved yourself a lot of time and downloading additional testing software had you provided this

Advertisements

Jimklol

Jimklol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
sorry for that yes my budget is approximately 400 euros about amazon you mean about the shipping costs?

here is the image
hwmonitor1.jpg

and http://speccy.pirifo...wZFxMSFdBdwgDi7

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
PSU output is ok and the high temps will be helped by a couple of additional case fans which I have included on the list.

Had to go for a CPU with integrated video due to the cost of adding the OS :( you can always upgrade the graphics with an add on video card in the future when the funds will allow it, see how you go with the integrated chip first though.

What games are you intending to play on the computer, just so we can confirm that the CPUs Radeon HD 7660D is adequate http://de.pcpartpick...ower2/saved/ynl

You can change the country in which to price the parts in the top right corner at the link, Germany was the best option parts wise other than the UK who do not use the euro for currency.

Let us know your thoughts.

Jimklol

Jimklol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
i'm playing LoL skyrim fall out new vegas i'm thinking of start playing far cry 3 now if i can run it also mass effect and assasins creed. thank you very much for your help but what cpu you would suggest from intel because i have a preference for intel instead of amd i forgot to mention that

Edited by Jimklol, 31 March 2013 - 09:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Sorry but an Intel build will put you over your budget and that is without an add on video card that you will need to be be able to play your intended games at a decent screen resolution and FPS rate, the basics http://de.pcpartpick...ower2/saved/ynl

Jimklol

Jimklol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
so if i get the intel build i must buy a video card and if i get the amd build i don't need to buy a video card?

Edited by Jimklol, 31 March 2013 - 10:55 AM.