Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Oh okay, thank you. Thought I was being a blind bat and just couldn't see it!
I will purchase a dongle as it is cheaper and have good experiences with one in the past :)

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Is it possible to connect directly (wired) to you internet router?
Or it it impractical because you have the PC in a different part of the house?

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
It isn't possible. I already asked my dad and he said he doesn't want cables coming through the ceiling and down walls.

Also I tried putting in the new MB but it doesn't fit. The gap between the VGA and USB isn't big enough and doesn't fit through the gaps in my tower. I also don't have a gap on my tower where the second set of USB ports are on the MB so therefore they aren't usable.

Edited by SophieMayk, 29 April 2013 - 08:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
[attachment=64426:MB back plate.jpg]

Also I tried putting in the new MB but it doesn't fit. The gap between the VGA and USB isn't big enough and doesn't fit through the gaps in my tower. I also don't have a gap on my tower where the second set of USB ports are on the MB so therefore they aren't usable.

Hello Sophie

Is what is causing you problems fitting the MB into the case the HP I/O plate similar to the first attachment below, if yes then your new MB should have been provided with one similar but more like the second attachment I have included.

The HP back plate should push inwards into the inside of the case which will allow the new plate to be pushed into place from the inside, this plate is countersunk so as it does not push through the opening and it must be used as it grounds the MB and the rear ports etc.

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Oh gosh, I feel so incredibly dumb! Thank you very much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Don`t worry about it as many people overlook this, a recent topic where the member was new to system building, see from reply #33 on http://www.geekstogo...er/page__st__30
Look at it as having learned something new :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Don't know how far along you are in the rebuild, below is just the order in which I do it. If you need some instructions for the removal of the heat-sink/fan and CPU? let us know.You have the various Manuals for reference but suggest you proceed in the following order. Please remember to turn of the power and take anti static measures when working on the computer.
> If installed, remove and replace the I/O shield in the case with the one supplied in the MB box.
> Alter/install fans if required.
> Install the PSU.
> Check carefully the stand-offs on the MB mounting plate inside the case, the number and pattern must match exactly the screw holes in the MB, no extra ones.
> Install the Optical Drive, (i prefer the second bay down allowing installation of something like a fan controller later).
> Place the MB on a clean piece of cardboard, a little larger than the board.
> Install the CPU.
> Check there will be thermal interface material on the heat-sink plate (usually a pre applied pad/strips on stock cooler) or IF NOT PRESENT, APPLY YOUR OWN to the top of the CPU as per instruction that came with the TIM.
>Install the CPU heat-sink/fan.
> Connect the CPU fan plug to the CPU fan header on the MB.
> Install the RAM, refer MB Manual for the correct slots.
> Carefully lay the MB in the case checking screw holes and stand-offs are correct. Note the drive bay/s that are at the end of slot/s where the video card/s are to be installed, where possible leave them empty of HDD/s. Makes cable connection easer.
> Lift out the MB, put to one side.
> Install HDD/s,
> Install the MB. refer MB Manual.
> Connect the two power cables to the MB.
> Install the GPU/s. and connect the required PCI-E power cables. refer MB manual for correct slot/s and GPU manual for number of power cables,,
> Install any other add on cards. (check manuals, (some, very few, require software be installed first)
> Run and connect the rest of the wiring.
> If using, connect the mini internal system speaker, ensure the +/- on the plug matches the symbols on the header pins.
> Check over your wiring, OK??
Keyboard, Preferable use a PS/2 keyboard, otherwise connect a USB mouse and keyboard to USB 2.0.
> If using wired Internet, connect to the access point, (router/Modem)
> Connect signal cable first, then power to the monitor and switch on.
IMPORTANT. If your PSU has a switch on the back for selection the voltage, ensure it is set correctly for your AC power.
you are ready to go.
> Plug in the PSU, switch on at the socket and the switch at the back of the unit.
> Press the Power On switch on he case.

NB. Keep all packaging, receipts and any bits left over, Should you have any additional questions, just ask. If you get stuck or are not sure of something, please stop and seek advice

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I tried to install the new MB. Big problem, the cables from the USBs, hard drive and disk drive don't reach where they are supposed too on the MB. They are all too short and therefore I have put back my old MB. Is it possible to buy extensions or will I just need to find another MB?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
The cable and plug for the USB connection is in the bundle of wires that come from the from of the case, check to see if they have been tied up to keep them tidy..
The 2 flat SATA DATA cable that came in the MB box should be long enough. You will have to completely remove the old ones at the Drive and the MB and replace with the new ones.

Advertisements

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I checked up what doesn't actually reach.

The SATA cables are fine. The ones that do not reach are the USB Header, System panel header and the front panel audio. Nothing is tided or bundled up, they are simply too short by at least 3-4 cm.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi SophieMayk.
Sorry I had not spotted this potential problem. You can purchase the nec extension cables from the 2 sites below. I know that you have limited cash, compare the costs against perhaps buying a new case.

Front panel (5 x 2 pin for Power buttons and LEDS) > http://pcpartsandcab...?products_id=80
Audio, > http://pcpartsandcab...products_id=101
USB. > http://www.scan.co.u...extension-cable

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thank you. The prices aren't too bad :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I know you have swapped your MB in and out, but have you swapped the CPU at all?

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Yes I did, but I swapped it back. I didn't try the CPU out in the new MB.