Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

advice on a new phone

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all, as the title says, im looking for a new phone...i say new but what i mean is, new to me, cos i cant afford one of these new new stoopidly overpriced phones ( galaxy s3/4...iphone type )
what im looking at is possibly the nokia 800 lumia..nokia 700 or nokia n8 as these are relatively cheap...
i do like the android system but i dont like the way samsungs operate..plus android seems to be updated every 5 minutes so im going to go back to nokia...my question is, whats the difference between the lumia windows operating system and the new symbian system and which is better...i dont do lots of messaging, just a bit of wifi web browsing and downloading apps and games..and making calls of course..ive done a bit of research on the afore mentioned nokias, some are better than others in different areas, the n8 has a 12 mp camera, the 700 5mp, but the 700 has a faster processor,
is any this actually relevant to someone like me who doesnt really use a phone to its full potential and should i just buy one i like the look of :lol:

any advice is most greatfully received

regards
nige

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I don't use the net at all Nige on a mobile as I can take my lappy in my local pub and get on to their free wifi.

If you want a no frills dog and bone that you can access the net if you want then consider this sim free workhorse.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0036DDX1G

I have had one for nearly 3 years now and it never lets me down.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
blimey, that was quick :lol:
hi wolfey and thanks for the linky, another one to add to the list :thumbsup:

still wouldnt mind some info on operating systems though, just out of curiosity if nothing else

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well apparently Samsung are out-selling IPhone from what I hear and Android does seem to be the main os for these supposed smart phones

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
the trouble with that is, i dont like the way samsungs operate, navigating menus and such..ive had one for about a year as a work phone and just couldnt get on with it...i find nokias easier...plus, a lot of the new games and apps developed for android are for ICS and jellybean, whereas the only one i can afford would be gingerbread ( as i had on my galaxy ace ) so new stuff is limited....also nokias seem to be a lot smaller, fit in the pocket sort of size...samsungs are flippin huge and you need a wheelbarrow to carry them...
the x6 has the same system as my 5800 and i liked that, but its got a better touch screen and bigger storage so its deffo one i will consider :thumbsup:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Before the X6 I had a Nokia N95 and that was wicked too.

Posted Image

When people bang on about the latest this phone or that phone I say why, what's the big deal.

Keeping up with technology is one thing but the phone guys bring a new one out every 20 minutes.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
people seem to want the latest and best that is on offer at the time, even if they'll never use 90% of it...its enough just to own it, i think...and of course the manufacturers are very good at staggering any improvements they make...makes good economic sense on their part i suppose ...i just want something that is easy to use, will do what i want it to and not cost me the price of a re-mortgage...a mate of mine had the n95 too..loved it, but i do like touch screens ( fingers are to chunky for buttons ) :lol:

wildriver

wildriver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi vistasucks, both of your choices are good, but it's still your own decision what to choose. I recommend Blackberry phones.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi wildriver, thanks for the reply...i have looked at blackberry but they suffer from the same problem, small buttons..except the new one and i cant afford one of them..i have also discovered that symbian is now in maitenance mode and no new apps or updates are being designed by nokia, theyre concentrating on windows so not sure what will happen there either...perhaps i should buy meself a pidgeon :lol:
ive got my eye on few on fleabay, ill let you know when ive got something
regards
nige