Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Black screen crashes on new PC

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
First of all, I didn't quite know where to post this, as I have pretty much no idea what is causing the problem.

Basically, when I play games on my PC, after a while it will just crash to a black screen and after around 5 seconds a loop of an infernal buzzing sound will start. This video shows the exact problem:

7870 BF3 Black Screen Problem (while playing) - YouTube

Here are my specs, I built this in December.
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
Processor - Intel Core i5-3570k
Graphics Card - Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC Edition 2GB
RAM - GSkill Ripjaws 8GB
Power Supply - XFX PRO650W

Now I would assume this is a graphics card problem but I can't be certain. It would certainly look like an overheating problem but I am pretty sure it isn't. There is close to no dust inside the PC, and using GPU-Z I monitor the GPU temperatures, which just before crashes goes no more than 50 degrees C. Usually it is 30-40.

The crashes happen while playing any game as far as I know, but GTA IV causes a crash after just 5 minutes or so, Civ V causes prompt crashes too. Other games like PlanetSide 2 or Mount and Blade (if you've heard of that) I can play for hours before a crash.

So can anyone help me with any solutions or pinpoint what is causing the problems please?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is really annoying me, thanks.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,712 posts
Gday TheRandomGuy7, Welcome back.
I see from a previous topic, > http://www.geekstogo...45#entry2235245 Where you had problems with running the GPU in the first PCI-e x 16.

You said, "Ok thanks, turned out my graphics card doesn't seem to work in the first slot (PCX16) so I tried it in the X4 and it works! Only problem is, and an extremely annoying one, the card in that slot blocks access to all but one SATA ports! So I can only have my single HDD installed at any one time, that means no disk drive."
Q. Are you still running in the x4 lane? If yes, you will take a performance hit. > http://www.behardwar...t/imprimer/836/

Issue of the SATA cable getting in the way. Possible solution maybe to use cables that have a right angles connector. They come left and right.
Alzeimer's Conclusion was that you had a possible faulty MB or GPU. . This may be the problem with your current issue.

Q. Is there a pattern to the buzzing noise, like, continuous, or one long 2 short?

The note on your video says " I was told it might be the monitor/PSU that had the problem, but that was changed after they saw the video.
Q. What was changed, the monitor or the PSU?.