Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Program Compatibility Assistant-Acer Aspire One

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
A big THANK YOU to all you geeks!

When I boot up my notebook I get a window: "Program Compatibility Assistant" It implies that I need an update but that the update is not compatible with Windows 7. (Don't much like Windows 7) It offers three options: "Check solutions on line; Run Program; Cancel". I've hit 'em all!!!! I also get a blank Note Pad page after the Window closes. I've had a look around the "Geeks" site but no simple solution seems to come up, though I'm sure there is one.

Thanks in advance...
I'll stand by.
Bry

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello brycrip

Do you happen to know if any updates were installed just before this started happening!

Removing bad updates and reinstalling them;

Go to Add/Remove Programs
Click the box on the top that says Show All Updates
Scroll through and find the offending update/s and remove it/them.
Now try updating again and see if it corrects the faulty update/s.

If no update were installed that may have caused the dialogue box to appear you can disable it using the steps at the link http://benchmark3d.c...ility-assistant

Let us know how you get on.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Thanks Rage...

Let me go to work on this; I'll let you know...
Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:thumbsup:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Hi Rage... sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I don't have internet on the boat and have to come to the village to get a connection.

OK... still have the problem.

My Updates are pretty much all Microsoft Security stuff.

I tried the "quick fix" from the link you provided but that didn't help so I went in and did it manually. Still have the Compatibility Window on start up even though it shows it as Disabled in services.msc...

What do you think????

Thanx for helping me with this...
Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
No worries Bry we all have other things going on and so cannot be around 24/7, you are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

When you are able to please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests.

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information. :thumbsup:

[b]NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to [/b http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

Any testing software that we use can be removed when we are done or at your discretion should you wish to retain it.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...tapit/ajaxscan/

It this what you are looking for. I ran the test but it didn't seem to run to completion. Let me know and I will try running it again.

Thank you... Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Sorry no that is not it, try running it again please, the type of url we need http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...&report=Summary

How about this, Rage?

Bry

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks Bry :thumbsup:

Had you made any changes or installed any new or updated software just before this issue first happened?

There is nothing drastic in the test results, other than some software running that you can do without and which possibly could be causing a conflict you are ok.

Can you do the following for us please;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Hey Rage... hope this helps...Brys Hard Drive.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Sorry Bry but can you expand the screenshot please so we can see all of the information in the main window, thanks.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Here's the second attempt, Rage. Any better?

Attached Thumbnails

• Brys Hard Drive Two.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
That is fine thanks and no problems there :thumbsup:

Have you tried the Microsoft online Fixit http://fixitcenter.s...soft.com/Portal

Have you checked the boot sequence in the BIOS BTW, C: first, USB device second etc.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Ok, sorry for the delay. I tried "Fix It" and was able to download seven updates... security stuff. It did nothing to rid me of the Compatibility Window at start-up.

Been awhile since I fooled around with BIOs... is that accessed through Safe Mode? Maybe you would be so kind as to walk me through it. Thank you...
Bry