Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

are two "O17" the norm in hijackthis log + having difficulty l

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello Nirsmar. Welcome Back! Thank you for posting on this forum for assistance.

Hello 1972Vet:

MSE is not a good fit for my system because it shows that it needs 256 MB RAM. I tried to download and I did finally get to install, but it is in constant updating and I am not able to get to run the program yet. I also looked into how the program updates and they are automatic. I would like to use an antivirus program that I have control of the updates of when/how they get installed. Is an alternative recommended?

For the issues that has arose with the Adware as you call it, I do not remember downloading anything with a check/uncheck toolbar etc. I follow your lead of direction, but would need to use the system from time to time and sometimes can not get to post at times. Sorry for the delay.

Cheers to All. I look to hear back from you 1972Vet.
Thank you for your assistance.

Edited by nirsmar, 11 May 2013 - 02:51 PM.

Advertisements

1972vet

1972vet

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 99 posts

...MSE is not a good fit for my system because it shows that it needs 256 MB RAM. I tried to download and I did finally get to install, but it is in constant updating and I am not able to get to run the program yet.

I also looked into how the program updates and they are automatic. I would like to use an antivirus program that I have control of the updates of when/how they get installed. Is an alternative recommended?

For the issues that has arose with the Adware as you call it, I do not remember downloading anything with a check/uncheck toolbar etc...

I follow your lead of direction, but would need to use the system from time to time and sometimes can not get to post at times. Sorry for the delay.

Cheers to All. I look to hear back from you 1972Vet.
Thank you for your assistance.

Point one:
By your description, I should assume then that MSE is still updating four and a half hours later? Is this correct? Tell us please, how long it takes you before you surrender and decide that the update is not successful. This information would be most helpful in determining exactly what is at issue here.

Point two:
There are of course plenty of alternatives, however I wouldn't recommend but a few. If you want my recommendation for you, I would point you back to MSE. It has the smallest footprint of the several big dog (commercial, corporate) applications that I often recommend for home users. All of them will auto-update. I wouldn't recommend use of one that didn't.

Point three:
Not remembering is common...but don't worry, so far, no real harm. The adware you picked up was easily removed. There are those that won't go away short of a thermo-nuclear blast, so please go slow and be alert to installation options that pop up when you install something.

Point four:
Also, no worries...it's just that I personally don't consider a month, some brief delay but someone else might (I rather doubt it though). Anyway, all that I (or any other volunteer here) want to do is "help" in the best and most efficient way possible. Most often, any log that sits on the forum for 5 days with no activity is routinely closed. Elsewhere (at the reputable forums I'm familiar with) it's very similar.

Bottom line is, we all just want to help without doing any harm. Concomitantly, and as you might agree, I simply cannot recommend a type of anti-virus program for you that you defined as one you would prefer.

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello 1972Vet:

The delay was extreme - I would usually respond back the day of - especially if someone is taking the time to volunteer and assist in any method.

MSE would download and istall - I would run the installation and wait until I see the software launch and see the icon on the taskbar. After clicking on the icon or through start>programs> it would launch, but would not - AND HAS NOT - scanned until it is updated. I then clicked the update button and would see the progress bar reaching the about 1/4 the distance but would not advance for over appox. 2+ hours. I then decided to cancel update, close all programs and restart and relaunch. The same would occur, but this time MSE would already be at the 1/4 progress mark - - must be some type of system that remembers the how much has been downloaded thus far -- which I know not always represents the exact progress (and just something to look at). This is point where we are at. At least to me I do not see a way to show the true progress of the update in XYZ MB out of XYZ MB completed, just the GIU progress bar.

This is why I ask about alternatives, because I know that other programs allow you to not only control when you want to download updates, but also (and to some more importantly) download the update manually and install manually in a specified folder. With MSE it does not look to be user-friendly. If one wants to set it and forget it, I guess it's alright, but for someone who would want a bit more control and know what is being downloaded, this might not be the correct fit.

This is why I ask if you recommend alternative to MSE. I know footprint is important along with the size of the program and the use of resouces when working with limited resources. I guess the choices would be a bit limited.

As for the Adware, I understand your position - I too would not go about and install any program without reading through the directions and becoming familiar with the "add-ons" some programs decide to include during the installation process.
I am glad to hear that it is not a challenge and "easily removed" - I guess this is all in relation to ones experience and expertise. Some many think it to be easy, while others very difficult. So at this point, would you say that I am free and clear of any malware or adware and/or how should I double check?

Thank You.

1972vet

1972vet

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 99 posts
I don't know that I'd yet say you are free and clear of any malware since we haven't yet seen any scan result from MSE. After you've rebooted, when the desktop comes up and is stable, tell us what color is the MSE icon in the system tray? Green? If so, it's good. If not, it might appear a dull orange or something. If that's the case, when you open it, there should be a message indicating what it suggests you do. Most likely, it would be telling you to scan. By default, the scan would be a simple "quick scan". Just performing a quick scan should be sufficient. During a quick scan, if nothing is found you should be good to go. If something is found though, you should then run a complete system scan. Let us know what the conditions is with MSE at this point. Thanks!

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello 1972Vet:

I was reviewing your direction, and I see the MSE icon in a "dull orange" or red. The MSE would not run because it shows it needs the update, hence the infomation provided about. By the way, I see that I have redirect to google.ca instead of google.com when I type in google.com.

Thank You for your assistance.

Edited by nirsmar, 14 May 2013 - 10:49 AM.

1972vet

1972vet

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 99 posts
...and so, you still haven't downloaded the updates? Are you still interested in using something else besides MSE? If so, I should warn you that others are even MORE demanding on resources than MSE. Let us know if you would prefer, there are just two others that I personally would recommend.

As to your google page...google.ca is not a redirect. It is simply the google page for Canadians. If you prefer to use the US version (google.com), simply make that choice either in your search engine preference or home page. Using one or the other will filter out such returns.

Meanwhile, please do the following:
Please note, disabling your on board antivirus product is not necessary while you scan with ESET online scanner Here. Click the Run ESET Online Scanner button. Another window will open...here, please accept the agreement, then click the Start button.

When prompted, install the needed software to perform the scan . When it finishes with the install, make sure to check the box titled Scan archives (the Remove found threats box should already be checked by default so PLEASE remove the check from this box).

Next, click the "Advanced Settings" link. Please make sure all boxes are checked except for "Use custom proxy settings". then click the Start button.

When it completes, use notepad to open the logfile located at C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
Copy and paste that log with your next reply, along with a description of any remaining problems. Thanks!

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello 1972Vet:

Your right, MSE did not update. I will run ESET the next day, thanks for the update. I will post with the results and also see if I can get the MSE to update. What are the two other programs that you suggest? Thank you for the assistance.

1972vet

1972vet

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 99 posts

Hello 1972Vet:
...What are the two other programs that you suggest? Thank you for the assistance.

If you are not able to tolerate MSE and cannot get it to function properly then find the program in the "Programs and Features" list, then click to highlight it and select to uninstall it...my guess is, THAT feature will function properly for you. Next, you should choose between Avast, or Avira for your on board antivirus solution. If it comes to this, then please let us know that is what you want to do, and which of those two you prefer and we can provide a link for you to download. Thanks!

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello 1972Vet:

I uninstalled MSE. Where do I find the links to those suggestions? Should I run ESET before or after? Thank You.

1972vet

1972vet

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 99 posts
Run ESET now please...then post back the results. I'll render the link(s) at that time, but you need to choose only one.

Advertisements

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello 1972Vet:

I began to run the ESET Online Scanner but I was unable to complete the task. After following all of your directions on what to check and uncheck on ESET it ran through its paces to 98% under initialization (Step 2 of 4) and stated "Can not get update. Is proxy configured?" So, I clicked back to try it again and it made it too 100%, but then it showed an "Error 2002." I then launched the ESET Online Scanner one last time directly from the ESET Online Scanner folder on my system - ran to 98% once again and showed the "Can not get update. Is proxy configured?" Please advise.

Maybe this will also help you out from the log.txt in the ESET folder

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
esets_scanner_update returned -1 esets_gle=36882

Thank You for your assistance.

1972vet

1972vet

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 99 posts

Hello 1972Vet:

...(Step 2 of 4) and stated "Can not get update. Is proxy configured?" ...

As this is the very issue that caused you to create this thread, then I'd have to suggest that you remove the proxy configuration. That was the 017 entry in your hjt log that you asked about much earlier. That entry is an AOL proxy domain so removing it should allow ESET to complete (and probably resolve the issue you were having with MSE).

Why would you not allow your security programs to penetrate this? Did you set up this proxy? If so what do you use it for, and if not, then it's pointless to keep it configured that way.

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello 1972Vet:

I have no idea what a "proxy configuration" is, please do explain. How does one go about removing or editing such a proxy? Thank you for your assistance.

1972vet

1972vet

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 99 posts
It was the two 017 entries that you pointed to in your seconding posting in this thread that I explained, was seemingly a simple AOL proxy domain. It might not be that you set this up at all...some piece of software you installed once upon a time though, may have.

Download RogueKiller to your desktop
  • Close all open programs
  • For Vista or Windows 7, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply double-click RogueKiller.exe
  • Accept the agreement and the pre-scan begins. Please wait until it finishes, then click the Scan button.
  • When the scan completes, the RKreport.txt shall be generated and auto-saved to your desktop.
Note: If the program fails to run, don't hesitate to try several times. If several attempts still fail (it is possible), just rename it to winlogon.exe and try running it again.

Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt in your next reply and wait for further instructions...and please do nothing else with this tool until or unless directed.Thanks!

nirsmar

nirsmar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello 1972Vet:

Through some trial and error I was able to run the ESET Online Scanner - How? - I disabled the Microsoft Firewall and then tried to run the ESET. It ran through to 100% and found 2 items with the log below. But now I still have the firewall disabled. I see the items it found are related to the print to pdf program I utilize. If this is an issue - which it seems to be - any other software recommendations? I also followed your direction and pasted the RougeKiller log below too. As for the AOL Proxy I do use AOL Dialup, but accordingly the settings should be automatic. I will look to hear your next steps. Atleast this looks like progress. Thank You.

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
# version=8
# OnlineScannerApp.exe=1.0.0.1
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6920
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=92262bcc64c0584ca6d53f93bbac8b4b
# engine=13859
# end=finished
# remove_checked=false
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=true
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2013-05-18 07:11:12
# local_time=2013-05-18 03:11:12 (-0500, Eastern Daylight Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=5.1.2600 NT Service Pack 3
# scanned=47099
# found=2
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=6278
sh=0F83E64227E3280DC06D90014E70AB5034AB2D86 ft=1 fh=ba85a6898d827777 vn="a variant of Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask.C application" ac=I fn="C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\CutePDFWriter.exe"
sh=B595414285D7C921EB34662B13D6C8BC3A75379B ft=0 fh=0000000000000000 vn="a variant of Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask.C application" ac=I fn="C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\Downloads\CuteWriter.zip"

=========================================================

RogueKiller V8.5.4 [Mar 18 2013] by Tigzy
mail : tigzyRK<at>gmail<dot>com
Blog : http://tigzyrk.blogspot.com/

Operating System : Windows XP (5.1.2600 Service Pack 3) 32 bits version
Started in : Normal mode
User : Admin [Admin rights]
Mode : Scan -- Date : 05/18/2013 15:47:18
| ARK || FAK || MBR |

¤¤¤ Bad processes : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Registry Entries : 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Particular Files / Folders: ¤¤¤