Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer slows down immensely after a few hours

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it getting slower when you do anything in particular like playing a game, on the internet, watching a movie or the whole system itself?
Are two of the hard drives external since this is a laptop?

Advertisements

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
they are all internal and i only notice it getting slower if i play games, but then i notice it abit in the system itself

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I''m confused as a laptop normally will not have 3 hard drives. What make and model is the laptop?

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
https://www.asus.com/ROG/G74SX/ its that but a futureshop model so the specs are abit diffrent but same computer

Edited by Dawsonluke9, 05 April 2013 - 01:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Impressive for sure. :thumbsup:
When playing games I'm sure it is on a 5400 rpm drive which may be part of the slowness you are seeing.
You might try running defrag on the other drives to see if it will help also. When you open Auslogics it should show all the drives. Try doing the drive with all the games on it since you moved them from the OS drive.

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
alright, well hopefully its good for atleast another year then im going to build my own computer s othat should be better :D but yeah if you have any more tips to help it would be greatly appreciated

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I think your bottleneck at this point is the 5400 rpm speed of those drives.
Considering that most are 7200 with 10,000 and above out now. Also with the SSD drives being much faster the 5400 rpm is slow and out of date although still used.
The system itself should be fine if you do the temp cleanup every once in a while along with making sure you don't fall below the 15% free space threshold. Your system for the most part is good and should do as you want it to do with no problems. Laptops for the most part are not the best choice for a gaming system and I would recommend a desktop system with everything the same except for the hd rpm rates.

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
yea i plan on running windows off an small SSD and have everything else on seprate bigger drives

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that's what I suggest. Buy a 80 to 100 gig SSD just for the OS.
Then buy a 1 or 2 TB drive for your games and install them there.
Buy another 1 or 2tb drive for everything else. That way nothing is there to slow your OS down. As long as you make sur the TB drives are 7200 rpm or better and all your other hardware is good you should have no problems. Then you use laptop for mobile internet and maybe a game or two along with videos. I think then you will be very happy with both systems and their performance.

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
yep exacly what im planning to do :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so back to the slowing down. Is the issue better at this point and when it does happen does it last for very long?

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
im going to play for awhile tonight and report back at like 10pm (est) see if its better

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem I should still be here. :whistling:

Dawsonluke9

Dawsonluke9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
it seems to be a fair bit better im not noticing too much slowing down in my games so its alot better

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. Did you do the defrag on the other drives as I suggested?