Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot from cd

• Please log in to reply

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes i have a windows 8 laptop that i bought last december and I can't for the life of me figure out how to boot from my cd I've went into my bios and changed my boot order and everything but I cannot get it to work for some reason.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Most likely there as Fn key you can press at boot time that beings up the Boot menu. From there you can select the Optical drive.

F10 or F12 are usually the Fn key but they usually provide a clue on the screen when the computer is booting. If you can't find it, post the make and model number of your computer and I'll see what I can find in the online users manual (if I can find it).

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright I'll let you know when i get home, but I've tried everything that I know how to do to get it to work I've pressed every key from f1-f12 during the start up process. before and after the PC bootstraps.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
When you changed the boot order in the bios to the optical drive Nate did you Save the settings by pressing F10?

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, I did cause the boot order actually did change but for some reason it didn't work. I've read a little bit online about other people having the same problem as I have. Windows 8 , I don't like it very well but It's what I got and I'm definitely not gonna downgrade to Windows 7. I need to learn how to use/operate windows 8 the best I can.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You say windows 8 was on a laptop which I'm surmising is a branded box, for example HP or Acer so are you using the back to factory recovery disks or some other form of disk?

In actual fact what are you trying to boot?

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No I was trying to run kaspersky rescue disk on it, and it's a Samsung, 500 GB HDD, 4GB of Ram, 1.87 GB dual core processor I believe. It has been performing less than desirable for me so I was gonna run the Rescue Disk on it just to see if perhaps a virus has leaked through my windows defender.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I can only suggest that you did not burn the ISO correctly Nate.

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I know for a fact that I did because I've used it on other PC's , and the disk is not damaged in any way

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I doubt the optical drive will be faulty on such a new machine and as you have said the disk works on other machines so to my mind the only thing that it can be is that you did not save the setting by pressing F10 before exiting the bios.

Perhaps Ztrucker will have other ideas.

Advertisements

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I'm 100% positive that I did save it and your right, there's nothing wrong with my optical drive. Every CD I put in it works. But thanks anyways, Like I said tho when i get to the house I will post the model of my Laptop because I can't remember what model it is. Thank you all for responding

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please do Nate and you're welcome. :thumbsup:

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Alright the model of my laptop is np300e5c its made by Samsung, I can't find any information on how to boot from the cd on it. At least not one the www.samsungcomputer.com website anyways

natewhite10987

natewhite10987

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I mean i got on their website and the only thing it told me how to do was to change to windows 7 but I've already tried the way that they told me to do that. It works it gets to the kaspersky screen and everything but it doesn't show my windows 8 OS on there for some reason like it's not even finding that I have an OS installed if i change the 'OS mode selection' to 'CMS OS' in my bios boot section and it just doesn't show my windows 8 for some reason when i boot into the kaspersky rescue disk.

Edited by natewhite10987, 04 April 2013 - 01:59 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the full model number, like: NP300E5C-A01UB