Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop black screen no boot

• Please log in to reply

Drpiracy

Drpiracy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok so last month I bought an Asus g53sx ROG laptop as a desktop replacement. I hibernated the computer and when I opened the lid and tried to boot nothing so I hard reset it and the computer will not boot and nothing is displayed on the screen. This has happened to me before but i was able to fix it by depolarizing the hall sensor this time it didn't work. I have tried replacing ram checking for dead slots boot without hdd replaced the hdd done an electrostatic discharge still nothing. Help!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Drpiracy

Is the notebook covered by a warranty.

Drpiracy

Drpiracy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Golden rule, if something breaks that is covered by a warranty leave well alone and return it, if you are deemed in any way to have voided the warranty the cover providers are not duty bound to honour the said warranty.

Drpiracy

Drpiracy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have called up asus and they said "you can open it and do anything you want as long as you don't modify/break anything" so I'm 16 years old and I opened it up and did probably 50 tests on the ram and parts but the hdd make a mechanical clunking and I fear I might have wiped it clen with a magnet so I'm going to but a 2.4/3.5 inch sata to USB Adapter take all my video editing/programs I wrote off there then. I also contacted the people I bought the laptop from and the first one I bought had the black screen issue and they replaced it for me then my dads work moved to America and the second one I received got the black screen and I polarized it and it worked the the same issue happened again but this time when I polarized it it didn't work. In 2 weeks I'm heading back to Australia and the reseller I bought from said they would analyze the laptop and if they can't fix it ill just remove the hdd and and for warrenty "asus said I could remove the hdd" :) ugh long post and at the age of 12 I made my first program that organized a number sequencer for my dad "also a programmer" lol so this stuff is second nature anyway thanks and next time I get a laptop it's going to be a toshiba :) probs the quosmio

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Warranties can be a minefield if you are not careful, you can indeed upgrade a computer of any kind without voiding your warranty but unless clearly specified you may not be aware of any restrictions of what you can and cannot upgrade without voiding that warranty, for example you can remove the memory cover on a notebook that was shipped with only 4GB of Ram fitted but has a 64-bit OS on the HDD, add a second 4GB stick of Ram so that you will get the benefits of the 64-bit OS by having the required 8GB of Ram, you may not however be permitted as I fear it is in this instance swap out a HDD that has been damaged by a non authorized person ie yourself and/or a magnet, this will be regardless if the HDD has a warranty seal on it or not, below is an excerpt from an example ASUS warranty, note the text in red that I have highlighted;

5. Exclusions from this limited Warranty Service
ASUS does not warrant uninterrupted or error-free operation of this Product. The warranty only covers technical hardware issues during the warranty period and in normal use conditions.
It does not apply to software issues or customer induced damages or circumstances such as but not limited to:

the Product has been tampered, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnel;
the serial number of the Product, components or accessories has been altered, cancelled or removed;
the warranty seals have been broken or altered;
obsolescence;
damage (accidental or other) to the Product that is cosmetic, meaning damage that does not impact the operation and functioning of the Product, such as without limitation to rust, change in color, texture or finish, wear and tear, gradual deterioration;
damage to the Product caused by war, terrorism, fire, accident, natural disaster, intentional or accidental misuse, abuse, neglect or improper maintenance, use under abnormal conditions;
damage to the Product caused by the Product being installed or connected to a peripheral device that is non-ASUS brand or not sold by ASUS;
damage to the Product caused by improper installation or improper connection to a peripheral device such as printer, optical drive, network card, or USB device etc;
damage to the Product caused by an external electrical fault or any accident;
damage to the Product resulting from use outside of the operation or storage parameters or environment detailed in the User's Manual;
damage to the Product caused by third party software or virus(es); or there is software loss or data loss that may occur during repair or replacement;
In-usability due to forgotten or lost security passwords.
In-usability of or damage to the Product caused by contamination with hazardous substances, diseases, vermin or radiation.
fraud, theft, unexplained disappearance or willful act;

Full example warranty @ http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us

As an asides a clunking HDD suggests that it is dead and you may not be able to retrieve your data, if you have not yet purchased the USB adaptor you mention hold off doing so and let us know as you may be able to use Puppy Linux to access the HDD and see if any data can be recovered.

Drpiracy

Drpiracy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought the adapter and the hdd worked I got my Info back and plugged the hdd back in. I guess I'll just take in back in 2 weeks :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the update and I am pleased to hear that you managed to secure your data :thumbsup:

Good luck with the warranty/return.