Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Worried about the future of Windows

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I am finding myself increasingly worried about the future of the Windows OS and of computing as a whole. The rumors that Microsoft is getting rid of the desktop in Windows 9, has me genuinely afraid. I hate the Metro UI and I am not a fan of touch interface. I don't even like using the touchpad on my laptop, I use a USB mouse. Being on the computer is a very big and important part of my life and seeing changes this drastic worry me, I have Asperger's syndrome and I tend to not like changes. I spend a lot of time worrying about this. I don't want to see the desktop go, I was bothered enough by them getting rid of the start menu. It all really is a major concern to me. Do any of you have some advice for me?

Edited by RebelGamer137, 03 April 2013 - 07:41 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
The Windows desktop is not going away. Ed Bott says it better than I can: 5 reasons why Windows desktop isn't going away.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

The Windows desktop is not going away. Ed Bott says it better than I can: 5 reasons why Windows desktop isn't going away.

Thanks for the link, I hope Ed Bott is right. I don't want to see that terrible Metro UI replace the time tested desktop. I still fail to see the point of them even replacing the start menu with no option to bring it back. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't ever remember seeing some great demand to replace the start menu or the desktop with anything else. I considered the decisions with Windows 8 and I still consider the rumors about Windows Blue to be corporate arrogance on behalf of Microsoft. They think they can decide what is best for the customers. One of the rules of running a business is the customer is always right. From what I can tell the majority does not like the Metro UI on PC. I hope the people at Microsoft can just admit they made a mistake with Windows 8/Windows Blue and bring Windows back to the way it should be.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Dear old MS have a glorious track record of fixing what isn't broken.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Dear old MS have a glorious track record of fixing what isn't broken.

Yeah, but an all Metro UI OS for a PC would make Vista and 8 looks like good OSes by comparison. I do think that would be crossing the line for a lot of Windows users. While there is grumbling about the start menu and a lot of people are not happy about it, getting rid of the desktop would be a final deal breaker for a lot of Windows users. As a gamer, I have been a Windows user my whole life. This might change if Microsoft keeps going in the direction they are going in. I think they are refusing to admit they screwed up. Windows Blue/8.1 is going to flop because its just more changes to the largely unpopular Metro UI. What Microsoft is failing to realize is desktop PC and laptop users do NOT want a SmartPhone/Tablet OS on there computers. I am a somewhat die hard traditionalist, I don't even use the touchpad on my laptop, I use a USB mouse. The rumors of the demise of the desktop are unnerving to say the least. Lets all hope they are just that, rumors.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Look at the specs of a modern smart phone, like the Galaxy S4... 1.7Ghz quad-core CPU, 2GB system RAM, up to 64GB storage, 1920 x 1080 display. It sounds an awful lot like notebook specs doesn't it? Add a dock, and sometime in the not too distant future, your smart phone will be able to replace your notebook, and your desktop. In that scenario, it makes a lot of sense to have your phone and desktop run the same operating system. As do GUI changes like the new start menu.

People don't like change, and Microsoft has made some forward thinking changes. Once you get past the Windows Start screen, 8 desktop experience is really not very different than Windows 7. Its also an experience that is faster, more secure, and more stable than Windows 7. Even if you never use the touch interface.

Windows Blue (or 8.1) is rumored to be released this summer. Windows has adopted a faster release schedule, with yearly updates likely. Will the Modern (formerly Metro) interface and apps eventually replace the desktop? Probably, but it will take many years.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Look at the specs of a modern smart phone, like the Galaxy S4... 1.7Ghz quad-core CPU, 2GB system RAM, up to 64GB storage, 1920 x 1080 display. It sounds an awful lot like notebook specs doesn't it? Add a dock, and sometime in the not too distant future, your smart phone will be able to replace your notebook, and your desktop. In that scenario, it makes a lot of sense to have your phone and desktop run the same operating system. As do GUI changes like the new start menu.

People don't like change, and Microsoft has made some forward thinking changes. Once you get past the Windows Start screen, 8 desktop experience is really not very different than Windows 7. Its also an experience that is faster, more secure, and more stable than Windows 7. Even if you never use the touch interface.

Windows Blue (or 8.1) is rumored to be released this summer. Windows has adopted a faster release schedule, with yearly updates likely. Will the Modern (formerly Metro) interface and apps eventually replace the desktop? Probably, but it will take many years.

They will never be able to compete with high end PCs for gaming or serious video or photo editing. One other problem with Phones is there relatively small screens. Same goes for tablets. Most people hate the Metro UI on PC. There is a lot of opposition form gamers and the business sector. If people keep rejecting Metro UI they might be forced to abandon the format on PC. Every other attempt to change the desktop experience has bombed. Microsoft Bob, Active Desktop and Windows Sidebar. All of them were terrible. Hopefully poor sales and angry reviews will get the message to Steve Ballmer and Julie Larson-Green, even if they seem to be incompetent idiots.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

One other problem with Phones is there relatively small screens. Same goes for tablets

A 1920 x 1080 display would translate to a large monitor very well (true HD, or 1080P).

I had a similar discussion with my server admin the other day. At heart I'm a hardware guy. I build my own systems, built my own servers. I keep up with the latest advances in CPUs, video cards, motherboard chipsets. But I have't upgraded my personal desktop in almost 5 years! Desktop hardware has mostly stagnated, and that's why mobile will catch it. I've added an SSD, a larger hard drive, and replaced the video card so I could run 3 monitors, but the core of my system, the CPU, RAM, motherboard, and the rest remain unchanged for 5 years(Q6600, 4GB DDR2, Abit IP35Pro). At one time I regularly upgraded every 12-18 months!

While there are benchmarks that show a modern CPUs would trounce mine in performance and power use, it's also a software issue. I spend most my time in the browser. Does it matter if my browser starts in 0.5 or 0.3 seconds? Does it matter if Excel starts in 1 second instead of 2? Will the $20/year in power savings pay for a new system? Windows Vista was slow, but Windows 7 and 8 use progressively less ram, and are progressively faster on the same hardware. The hardware geek in me wants to upgrade. The cheap geek in me can't find a reason to justify it.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

One other problem with Phones is there relatively small screens. Same goes for tablets

A 1920 x 1080 display would translate to a large monitor very well (true HD, or 1080P).

I had a similar discussion with my server admin the other day. At heart I'm a hardware guy. I build my own systems, built my own servers. I keep up with the latest advances in CPUs, video cards, motherboard chipsets. But I have't upgraded my personal desktop in almost 5 years! Desktop hardware has mostly stagnated, and that's why mobile will catch it. I've added an SSD, a larger hard drive, and replaced the video card so I could run 3 monitors, but the core of my system, the CPU, RAM, motherboard, and the rest remain unchanged for 5 years(Q6600, 4GB DDR2, Abit IP35Pro). At one time I regularly upgraded every 12-18 months!

While there are benchmarks that show a modern CPUs would trounce mine in performance and power use, it's also a software issue. I spend most my time in the browser. Does it matter if my browser starts in 0.5 or 0.3 seconds? Does it matter if Excel starts in 1 second instead of 2? Will the $20/year in power savings pay for a new system? Windows Vista was slow, but Windows 7 and 8 use progressively less ram, and are progressively faster on the same hardware. The hardware geek in me wants to upgrade. The cheap geek in me can't find a reason to justify it.

The difference is I am a gamer. So I need high performance for my games. So they always will be that market. Desktops and laptops might become a more niche market but I don't see them dying out yet. I just hope they don't force us to use that crappy Metro on Windows. I like the classic desktop interface. If I have to I will switch to Linux or Mac.