Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is it toast ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all, ive just aquired ( legally of course ) another laptop..its a fujitsu siemens...
it wont boot up and when i press f2 for setup it says " none " under harddrive...a bit further on it says " no OS found "
there is a harddrive in place so im guessing that its toast..ive taken it out and put it back in a few times and wiggled it a bit but no joy...
any idea if its worth looking at further or do i just set fire to it :lol:

thanks for any help

regards
nige

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Up to you but to be sure I would try to connect the hard drive to another computer if possible to see if it is the hard drive or the motherboard port / wire ide or sata connection not working.

If it works on another computer then your laptop motherboard is either faulty or it is just the connector (wire connection) between the motherboard and the hard drive that is faulty.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
merci for the reply mate...swapping the drive is not an option as its a different type than my laptop...i'll have a fiddle with it and bin it if no good :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Buy a new hard drive. Download Vista as follows using the key from the COA sticker on the laptop to install with.

If you do not have a Windows Vista installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit).

Only Windows Vista Ultimate with SP1 (X64 or X86) download is available, but if, during the install, you do not enter the product key
when initially prompted for it (which you must have to use the download), then you will be prompted to select the version of Vista you
want to install. You can activate once the install is done.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Ultimate

Downloaded the Vista X64 or X86 files.

X64:
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63453.exe

X86:
install.wim
boot.wim
X14-63452.exe

Double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe. It extractes all the files into a Vista sub-folder.

Downloaded Windows Bootable Image Creator zip then extract the files to a folder:

Open the folder and run WBICreator.exe
Click Next
Select OS Type: Windows Vista
CD/DVD Label: VistaX64 or VistaX86
Setup Location: The Vista folder created when you double clicked on X14-63453.exe or X14-63452.exe.
Output Path: Somewhere with enough free space to hold the .iso file that will be created (X64 = 3,837,112KB, X86 = 3,013,816KB).
Click GO.

When done a VistaX64.iso or VistaX86.iso file will be created in the Output Path you chose.

You can use the .iso as input to a burner program like ImgBurn to create a Vista Install DVD, or you can use it as Input to
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 to create a Vista install flash drive.

I created a X86 flash drive and used it to install a clean copy of Vista Home Basic on my HP DV2200 Laptop. Worked great using the key on the COA sticker of the laptop.

Remember to use the X64 or X86 version of Vista you currently have.

Note: You may need to download drivers for the computer from the manufacturers web site so I would suggest getting the Network (LAN and Wireless) and video/VGA drivers ahead of time so you can install them as soon as you finish installing Vista.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
thanks for the reply mate...im not spending any money on it, only picked it up cos it was free... :lol:
didnt get any joy with it so ive freecycled it, someone else can fix it...so we can close this topic now :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Wish I lived near by, I'd be glad to have it and fix it up.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
:lol: ..so do i, i'd have my own personal computer fixer upper :lol:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Closed at members request.