Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NAS storage

• Please log in to reply

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi all,

I am looking to add some network storage to our home network to store the growing number of pictures, videos, etc. from all of our computers. However, in looking a reviews for some affordable NAS's, I see an astonishing difference in reviews. Specifically I have looked at these two items:

Buffalo LinkStation Duo NAS
WD MyBook Live Duo

I want something with RAID 1. However, it seems like half of the people who buy these things have them fail really quickly, or never work at all, while the other half have no problems whatsoever. I really don't want to loose my data.

Do any of you have experience with any home NAS's or any advice? I was also considering just adding a RAID array with Ubuntu Server linux in an older computer I have lying around. Maybe that would be more reliable, but I would have to make it wireless, as I have no way of getting an ethernet cable to it.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A NAS drive is designed for use connected to an existing home network via Ethernet Cable. Wireless will simply be too slow if your option is to effectively shift copious amounts of information around.

If you're not able to run a network cable to the computer from your existing router, you could look at using Homeplug technology instead which will give you all the benefit of a wired connection without running cables everywhere, and allow you to use an old computer as a NAS server.

Edited by Neil Jones, 06 April 2013 - 05:55 PM.