Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Updates Not On, does not exist in Sevices list

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi,

This may be the result of a virus I had sometime last year, but I did not have Windows Update on my computer.

I ran the MS repair tool and it did seem to fix the Windows Updater, but while it can now LOOK for the updates AND
it can tell me what updates I'm missing, it cannot actually install them.

Instead I get Error Code 80246008.

Clicking the code brings to me several "solutions" in Win7's help section, but none of them got me anywhere.

Researching this, it seems I'm missing Background Intelligent Transfer Service.

I'm wondering if I should try uninstalling then reinstalling Service Pack 1. I think if I can get BITS back, everything'll be honkey dorey.

THANKS!

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey there, Dake!

Thanks but before I do that, why are you directing me to the Malware forum?

As said, I'm only GUESSING that this may be the result of a virus I had last year. You guys helped me clean it, and I was declared free and clear.

Will running OTL in any way possible restore BITS?

Please advise. Thanks once more.

P.S. For some reason I couldn't sign in under my previous name/e-mail, so I created a new login...but I was here in spite of it saying I've only had 2 posts. ;]

Edited by Phlegmbott, 05 April 2013 - 03:24 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
My apologies, somehow I missed the email notification for your reply...:)

The symptoms you described are a possible indication of malware, hence my prior advice. If in the event it is not malware related you can merely come back to this topic again to seek the appropriate assistance etc.

With regard to this:-

P.S. For some reason I couldn't sign in under my previous name/e-mail, so I created a new login...but I was here in spite of it saying I've only had 2 posts. ;]

Nothing I can do about that I'm afraid, you could ask in this part of the forum and or contact one of the Forum Admins.