Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with a current build

• Please log in to reply

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi there, I'm new here looking to get some advice.

I'm building a new computer but i'm still going to use some things that were in my old build, including the old PSU.
Here are the Specs:
-AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Gh.z (old)
-ASUS Mobo M5A99fx Pro R2.0 (NEW)
-Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB))(NEW
-EVGA GeForce GTX 8800 765MB (old)
-Cougar Evolution w/ 4 120mm Fans
-2 HDDs running at 7200 RPM (old)
-1 DVD reader/burner
-PSU: HX520W Corsair (old)

My big question here is, will my old PSU be able to handle all this?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Alfserratos, Posted Image

Here is your proposed new MB Socket > http://www.asus.com/...#specifications User manual, CPU support list, RAM QVL.

My big question here is, will my old PSU be able to handle all this?

Upgrading the MB and, looks like upgrade the RAM by 4GB, would stillenable the PSU to power the system.

The question is, did you have problems withthe old computer? did you find out what was wrong? are you 100% sure that the old parts you are going to use are good?
Are you going to reuse the stock heat-sink and cooler?

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the information on the motherboard i knew it is backwards compatible with the old Phenom CPU's.

All these parts work yes I'm just doing an upgrade on certain things to save a little money. I was just wondering if this 6+ year old power unit would be able to handle the new upgrades. Yes i will still be using the stock heat-sinki don't plan on overclocking anything until i get a better power source. Also thanks for asking that because that brings up another question should i reapply thermal paste to the CPU when switching to the other motherboard?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update.
The PSU is quite old so, if you did get issues, black screen, restarts, BSOD, it would be the first likely culprit.

should i reapply thermal paste to the CPU when switching to the other motherboard?

yes. You must also clean off the old TIM from the CPU and the heat-sink, I use 98% pure Isopropyl Alcohol or you can use a kit like this,
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010 Do not use any type of petroleum based products or things like nail varnish remover. This is the TIM I sue, electrically non conductive. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186038

When working on the computer, always turn off the power and take Anti Static Measures.
Hints. Take the side of the computer, lay on it's side. > Turn on for 2 minutes, > turn off, switch off power, > unplug the CPU fan, > remove the heat-sink TAKE CARE not to burn yourself, > remove the CPU, > remove the RAM, > clean parts, > Disconnect wiring to MB. > remove the MB, > remove the I/O shield from the case and replace with the one from the MB box. . Check that the stand-off on the MB mounting plate match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the new MB. no extra ones.

Now is the time to make alterations like fitting fans, do a good clean. Then, outside of the case,
Put the New MB on a clean piece of cardboard, install the CPU, > apply TIM, > install the heat-sink fan, > connect the CPU fan plug to the CPU fan header on the MB, > install the RAM to the correct slots, (MB manual)

Continue with the upgrade. Any problems or questions, Please post.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I sure will thank you very much.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome.
Any problems or questions, "Just whistle"

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Do i did some last minute research and the pet supply won't be able to supply enough power to the graphics card the card needs 24 amps per 12 volts and the supply can only give 18 amps. [bleep]. I have to buy a newer power supply.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
No. You have not changed the GPU, it worked fine before. where did you see the card needs 24 amps per 12v rail?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Her is the ref card, > http://www.gpureview...x-card-474.html
It's max power draw is 176W
When a GPU manufacturer recommend (say) 500w with 30A on the 12v rails, they are talking about the total typical system requirements, not the requirements for the GPU alone.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Oh i thought it was for the gpu only. Well my parts should be getting here soon I'll let you know how everything goes once i connect it all. Quick question and again thanks for your help, most motherboards on the market have PCIe 2.0 slots including mine but graphics cards today are 3.0 and i know they are backwards compatible but does that mean the card is not using its full potential because of the 2.0 slot?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
A single 3.0 GPU in a 2.0 slot will work fine as the card will not use all the available bandwidth.
> http://www.hardwares...PCI-Express/190

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
That's indoctrinate i should have research that before buying the motherboard i got. X_X

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Indoctrinated = unfortunate, sorry on my phone spell check.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I think there is just a little misunderstanding.
I said.

A single 3.0 GPU in a 2.0 slot will work fine as the card will not use all the available bandwidth.

Should have said, use up all

On the first test, Note, there is a difference in the CPUs, "most of the performance advantage had under PCIe 3.0 was well under 10%. This actually falls in-line with the kind of performance advantages one might expect using n Ivy Bridge CPU clock-for-clock compared to a Sandy Bridge CPU. The IPC can affect performance by as much as 4-7% in favor of Ivy Bridge easily. As you noticed, most of our data when we experienced an improvement on the Ivy Bridge system was in this range of improvements."
> http://www.hardocp.c.../1#.UWkF8KJRYeA

A really powerful card like the one tested below,
> http://www.hardwarec...-review-25.html

So you have not made a mistake,

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm posting a problem i finished building my computer. I put in everything me i had some extra cash so yeah, but the graphics card is still the old one everything else is new. I turn on it on after hooking it up to my monitor everything spins then the sands slow down. The monitor shiite the Asus logo and at the bottom it says "press F2 or delete to go into BIOS" but i press it and it doesn't work you think because i am using a USB wireless keyboard it won't work?