Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with a current build

• Please log in to reply

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Sands = then, sorry

Advertisements

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Shiite= shows, dam phone.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Don't worry about phone spelling, if I can't make out what you mean, will ask again.
The fans often run at high speed then the BIOS or software will make adjustments.
Post has made it through to the Logo, so unless there is an actuarial error message, the USB Keyboard should have been detected.

Restart the computer, look for lights on the keyboard to flash, if yes, the keyboard is detected.
Restart and hold down the delete key to enter BIOS.

If no, and you have plugged in on the front USB 2.0, check the connection is correctly seated to the a USB 2.0 header on the MB and try again.
If no, try a socket on the back of the case.
Q. If no, can you try the keyboard on another computer, try a different USB keyboard, try a PS/2 keyboard?.

Q. Did you hear any beeps during POST?
Q. With the PSU switched on and the computer witched off, you will see one light towards the right bottom of the MB. Are there any other lights lights on?
Q. Are there any other messages displayed.?

Another way to enter the BIOS, but without a keyboard, not very useful.
Please refer you MB Manual Chapter 1 Page 24 DirectKey.

Also read Chapter 2 Page 20. Starting up for the first timeand then look through tyhe BIOS part to see if there are steps for you to complete.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I figured it out on of my hard drives had an old OS that it tried to run off of and it would freeze while loading once I took that HHd out it work. I got it up and running now =D Windows 8 and everything.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Great news.
If you installed W7 to the new HDD with the old drive still connected? You could have problems at a later day. It is possible that part of the windows install was placed on the old C drive. this may not be apparent at this stage if only a few bits are on C instead of on D.
I would seriously consider doing a clean install to the new drive ensuring that all other drives are disconnected.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I did do that, a clean install, on one of the two HHD's. You these HHD' were of of a old friends computer (who is now in China) and he was running a dual X program on it our something where he had two different operating systems Mac and windowsXP. I guess the motherboard would freeze on the boot when trying to recognize the drive because once i toll that one out it booted up just fine.
Question: how do i format that drive without it freezing my computer on boot u. Is it possible to connect the HHD while my computer is on because my case has an adapter for it on top, out is that out of the question to do.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I will give you a How To, for formatting a drive with an old OS on it, but first a few questions.
Q. What is the make model of the computer case?
Q. Did you re install W7 again? is it now the C drive?
Q. Have you connected Data and Power cables to the top outside drive bay?

It would be better to install the second HDD inside the computer and use the outside HDD for backups or client files, if you are doing video/photo editing.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
-Cougar Evolution Full tower
-I installed Win8 OEM onto one of the HDD's
-yeah everything has been connected at the top bay.

I want to use this second drive to keep my games in it seeing that it is 250GB and the one that I installed is 160GB. I also in the near furture want to moved my operating system to a SSD so I have a better boot time.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Q. You will need one more SATA DATA cable?

Some checking/adjustments to cables and the BIOS setting need to be done for optimal performance. Please make sure to follow the steps in the order given.

1. Restart the computer and enter BIOS.
2. When the BIOS screen has loaded, press F5. load Default settings? > select yes, > Press enter. When the OS has loaded,
3. Shut down. > Turn off the PSU.

Please refer to the following pages of the MB user manual.
(1-28) AMD Serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors.
Take Anti static measures.
>Connect the SATA cable from the OS Boot Drive to SATA6_1 Socket , (Gray)
>Connect the SATA cable from the Optical Drive to SATA6G_5 Socket. (Gray. find this up and to the left of the other SATA sockets.)
> Switch on the PSU, start the computer to test if OK.

Please read this How To, and advise to print the relevant instructions.
> http://pcsupport.abo...indows-disc.htm

Shot down, switch off the PSU.
> Install the second HDD, (will be Game Drive)
> connect a SATA Power plug to the Game HDD.
> Connect a SATA DATA cable from SATA6G_2 Socket (Gray) to the Game Drive.
> Connect the top Hot Swap HDD bay SATA DATA cable to SATA6_3 socket (Gray)

Disconnect the SATA DATA cable to the OS Boot drive.
> restart the computer, ignore any warning if you get them.
> insert the Windows7 installation disk in the Optical Drive.
> Re start the Computer.
> Follow the instructions from the How To Format Article.

> Shut down, turn off the PSU.
Re connect the OS Boot drive to SATA_1 Socket.
> Restart, test, Please post the results.

Do not add any programs or move files yet.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Seems tedious I'll try my best. I'll let you know how it goes once I do it, if i even do it correctly x_x.

Advertisements

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Couldn't do it still just freezes -_-

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Should i just boot from the optical drive it will that mess everything up.?

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Never mind tried that to it still just freezes.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

With the DVD drive and only one HDD connected, (the OS drive), does the computer work?

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes it works with the 160GB hard drive since it was a storage secure i could format it no problem and put the OS on it. But with the 250GB it has a dual boot OS on it and whenever i have that one connect it freezes the boot process since it cannot process the information I'm guessing.