Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer slowing, MBAM/Avast! might be interacting weirdly?, one w

• Please log in to reply

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
User returned

sue dinym

sue dinym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
okay, i found this out when i ran the HWINFO thing:

Intel Core Duo T2300
Motherboard: Dell 0KD882
Chipset: Intel 945GM (Calistoga-GM) + ICH7-M/U

there was more there. but nothing that looked like an easy-to-post log.

what is a aswMBR log?

and the computer is definitely still starting up quicker than it used to, but it does have a lot of trouble multi-tasking. like playing music on winamp and opening a .pdf makes the music get skippy. not permanently but while the .pdf is opening. stuff like that. autocad is working (thanks be to god).

lemme know what else i can/should do!

thanks for all yr time...

crooleeck

crooleeck

• PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

like playing music on winamp and opening a .pdf makes the music get skippy.

OK, what do you think about try lighter alternative:

PDF Reader: you have probably Adobe Reader. Try alternative:

I like first one.
Warning.
Remember to install only software that you need. Installators often install another software by default. Always check what you are installing. Unckeck optional software install. In Foxit it please deselect toolbar instalation.

Lighter then Winamp is AIMP.

You have 1GB RAM memory. Now to comfort work you need at least two gigabytes. Memory is chip. I'm recommending to ask our Tech Stuff is it worth to try.

sue dinym

sue dinym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
i'm already using foxit, and have never experienced winamp as a real memory hog. do you think any part of this is potentially my hardware degrading over the course of years?

i've pretty much come to the conclusion that i need a new laptop. i bought a laptop w 2 gigs of memory that's running ubuntu, and now my main issue is just figuring out how to transfer stuff over to that laptop.

crooleeck

crooleeck

• PipPipPip
  • 882 posts

i'm already using foxit, and have never experienced winamp as a real memory hog.

I've checked it on my machine :). With the same playlist Winamp needs 21MB, AIMP 8.

do you think any part of this is potentially my hardware degrading over the course of years?

It could be a hardware failure, but it's simply old as well. Over the years memory and processing power are going high. Two years ago 1GB RAM was OK, now we need two, because software and www are larger.

now my main issue is just figuring out how to transfer stuff over to that laptop

I'm not expert, but I think transfer over LAN should be quick. SAMBA maybe helpful.

sue dinym

sue dinym

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi --

was just working on the old dell laptop and it collapsed and gave me the blue screen with a message: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

do you know what that means?

also, do you think there's a way for me to have it start up and not even interact with the internet, and only start-up autocad and fox-it? that'd be helpful during the transition.

regarding winamp: having a music player that frees of 13 MB of memory seems like a drop in the bucket compared to something like autocad or firefox or even openoffice, don't you think?

anyway. working on transferring this stuff over. i went to the samba link and couldn't figure out what it meant, honestly. :-\ beyond my level of geekery.

should i start a new thread over on the "operating systems" forum? maybe under linux? not sure who to talk to/with.

best -- sue

crooleeck

crooleeck

• PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
sue dinym, my apologize for delay! I live in Poland, we have "long weekend" here - Independence Day, Flag Day, Constitution Day...

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Did you try just restart it?

also, do you think there's a way for me to have it start up and not even interact with the internet, and only start-up autocad and fox-it? that'd be helpful during the transition.

I'm worry that you will connect internet - computer with no internet is very nonfunctional machine :)

anyway. working on transferring this stuff over. i went to the samba link and couldn't figure out what it meant, honestly. :-\ beyond my level of geekery.

Tell one more time - do you want to transfer data from XP machine to another machine running Ubuntu? If yes you need to start SAMBA on Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=202605