Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Simple Hardware Questions - I Hope

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
So I opened up my PC case to clean it/dust it out with compressed air this morning and got to looking at the innards for a few minutes. I discovered a couple things that I would like to fix and I have provided pics of each item below. First, I've always had a couple of USB ports on the front of the case. They have never worked, but I wished they had for convenience sake. I found the power cable/wire for the USB disconnected inside the case. I know it plugs into the Motherboard, I just don't know where. If someone could advise me that would be great.
Also, there was some rattling going on inside my case, it turns out to be a small round speaker that is also disconnected. Pic provided below. Advise on where to reconnect would be great.

Thank you!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi,

To all that you need the motherboard manual if you don't have it post the Brand and model of the motherboard so people could help locating the manual for you.

About the speaker, some motherboards have a little speaker on the board itself and don't use the one you have on the desktop case, again the manual should clarify that.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Hi,

To all that you need the motherboard manual if you don't have it post the Brand and model of the motherboard so people could help locating the manual for you.

About the speaker, some motherboards have a little speaker on the board itself and don't use the one you have on the desktop case, again the manual should clarify that.

I hope this is what you need.

Posted Image

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi,

Yes it works :thumbsup:

You can download the manual from the Intel site download D845GERG2_D845GEBV2_ProductGuide_English.pdf

On page 32 you will find the connections for the from USB panel, the intel desktop board includes a small speaker you will not find a connection for the speaker in your second image.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Hi,

Yes it works :thumbsup:

You can download the manual from the Intel site download D845GERG2_D845GEBV2_ProductGuide_English.pdf

On page 32 you will find the connections for the from USB panel, the intel desktop board includes a small speaker you will not find a connection for the speaker in your second image.

I sure do appreciate all your help. Before I go on, please understand I am a total noob regarding much of this, so if what is simple to you is a confusing mess to me, please be patient.
I have downloaded the Motherboard manual and have reviewed the information on pg. 32 and the illustration on pg. 30 that the "Installing a Front Panel USB Solution" instructions refer too.
Based on the instructions I'm reading and what I'm seeing on the illustration, I'm just not seeing where the Front Panel USB plugs into on the Motherboard.
Please note, Table 7 on pg. 32 is confusing to me. What pin is the Front Panel USB I have? As I look at the pin, I see two 3 pins and two 1 pins, or a total of 8 pins when added together.
The location for the Front Panel USB to plug into shown by the illustration on pg. 30 is confusing as well. The area 11B that refers to the location of where I should plug it in is not found on my Motherboard. I have included another pic of the Motherboard oriented the same as on the illustration found on pg. 30. Let me know what you think.

Posted Image

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi,

No problem, it seem the layout of your motherboard is a title different, some times it happens because the manual is for more than one product.
Form the image it seems that at the right from the text "Intel Desktop D845GEBV2" its a connecter identified as "Front Panel USB" if i'm seeing this right and you already have a cable connected there, can you follow the cable to find where it connects to on the case?

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Hi,

No problem, it seem the layout of your motherboard is a title different, some times it happens because the manual is for more than one product.
Form the image it seems that at the right from the text "Intel Desktop D845GEBV2" its a connecter identified as "Front Panel USB" if i'm seeing this right and you already have a cable connected there, can you follow the cable to find where it connects to on the case?

Hmm, you are right. The cable that's already connected there is for a USB 2.0 Card Reader/Floppy Drive. Looks like I need to decide which piece of hardware I'd prefer to use cause it doesn't seem like there's an alternative place to connect. If that's the way you see it, let me know. Again, thanks for the help. I will be out for the rest of the day, but will check back upon my return.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi,

In that case I see two options, replace the card reader with one that includes a USB port like this:
Posted Image

another option buy a USB extension cable to connect on the back, this way you can have the other end in a place more accessible to you.
Posted Image

Maybe there are other options I'm not remembering now...

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Hi,

In that case I see two options, replace the card reader with one that includes a USB port like this:
Posted Image

another option buy a USB extension cable to connect on the back, this way you can have the other end in a place more accessible to you.
Posted Image

Maybe there are other options I'm not remembering now...

I like the first option. Seems to be the smartest thing to do. You have been a big help. Thank you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Thanks.

I'm glad I could help. :thumbsup: