Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen w/blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

bugglezz

bugglezz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am trying to get my old desktop set up as an HTPC but have run in to problem. The computer was built by my brother-in-law in 2005 and is running xp. I'm getting a black screen with the blinking cursor after the initial "press del to enter setup" scree, but only when the secondary HDD is installed. I recently reinstalled xp, but got annoyed/"is it even worth it" trying to get it connected to the network, etc etc...so I decided to take the second drive out in order to use it as an external drive on my laptop. So when I finally made my way back to the desktop to get it ready to go, the second drive was not installed. I made a lot of software changes (drivers, win updates, program installations) but no hardware changes. The PC was booting/working fine, then I realized that I still needed to put the other drive back in. So I put it in there and it won't boot up properly. No changes were made to the drive while it was out and everything was working fine when I first reinstalled xp. The drive is connected in the same location as it was before. I can enter BIOS and the drive is there, but it won't let me boot from CD. Everything works perfectly if I remove the second drive.
Thanks in advance for any advice! (Please excuse typos, one handed on a smart phoning with a wiggly baby in tow.)

Advertisements

bugglezz

bugglezz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay, I figured it out. Stupid mistake on my part. I didn't realize that the secondary drive was set to boot before the primary in BIOS... Didn't even really check, doi. It works now :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: bugglezz

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for posting how the issue was resolved :thumbsup: