Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard mysteriously stopped responding

• Please log in to reply

moorerp

moorerp

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 laptop that has served me well, running windows XP home. In the middle of working on my thesis tonight, the keyboard simply stopped responding- nothing works on it. Everything else appears to work fine, just no keyboard function. I stuck a desktop computer on the ps2 slot where I usually plug in my mouse, and it works fine (typing on it now).

I was surfing the web just before the problem started, but I got no warnings of virus attack or anything like that. As far as I know, nothing in the system changed at all- just no keyboard. Sorry to beat that dead horse, but it's frustrating in its simplicity.

Any help will be greatly, greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

randy

Edited by moorerp, 06 June 2005 - 11:43 PM.

Advertisements

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Im sorry to have to do this to you but if you think its a virus then you have to go here http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html and follow the instructions...

however it may be just a glitch in your system as windows does from time to time , use your mouse to get over to the control panel and check out yourkeyboard settings then try checkin your keyboard files in device manager.

moorerp

moorerp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi there, thanks for the response.

I don't have any reason to believe it's a virus except for the possible coincidence of cruising the web just before it happened. A Symantec sweep found nothing. I've checked the hardware settings for the keyboard in the device manager and
it says the device is working properly- a big lie!

by the way, that first post should have read "desktop keyboard", not "desktop computer."

Edited by moorerp, 08 June 2005 - 12:09 PM.