Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm missing BITS in my Services area of Win7 64-bit [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you now try windows updates please

Advertisements

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Heya, Essex!

Windows seems to be AOK now. I got the updates and other issues which were occurring all seem to have been straightened out. Are you able to tell me what it was that was going on?

The only remaining thing going on is that every time I open IE (a rare occurrence to be sure), I got a pop-up which reads "A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer."

Considering that i never use IE, and SuperAntiSpyware hasn't found anything aside from the usual cookies and the like, I'm wondering if you had any ideas what that might be.

Thanks so much, Essex!

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Wait, I forgot -- this popped up when I entered Windows (see screen cap).

And it seems my on-screen volume and brightness indicators are gone...but I'm not sure I care about that yet. Apparently it's something I can easily DL from Dell's site.

Attached Thumbnails

• _001_cr.jpg

Edited by Phlegmbott, 15 April 2013 - 10:21 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you use Akami net at all ? If not then uninstall it from control panel

For the IE popup
Open IE and under tools select Manage Addons
Set the default search to Google and disable the rest

This was mainly a damage repair exercise rather than malware removal, any further problems ?

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Akami: I don't use it...exactly. I had an inkling it might be Dell-related. It is: It's the program they use to take over my computer when offering tech support. Not sure why that pop-up came up however. Was afraid it was Malware-related as I said. A web search didn't turn that up; as I went to Uninstall it, I got a Dell-specific pop-up. So, OK, good to know.

IE: Shows Bing as my default search provider, and I've never touched that, so was just afraid it was a Malware thing.

Was ANY of this cleanup a result of the Malware cleanup from last year do you think? Or was it something else that I can prevent in the future?

Thanks so much, Essex!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It appears to be just a damage repair exercise as no malware was detected

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Remove ComboFix
  • Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall
    (Notice the space between the "x" and "/")
    then click OK

Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

Run OTL and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programmes we have used plus itself.

Clear Restore Points

Go Start > All Programmes > Accessories > System tools
Right click Disc Cleanup and select run as administrator
When it pops up at the first prompt select OK after it has done some calculations the tabs will appear
Select More Options tab
Press Sytem Restore and Shadow Copies Cleanup button
Posted Image

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

Posted Image Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

Download and install FileHippo update checker and run it monthly it will show you which programmes on your system need updating and give a download link

If you use on-line banking then as an added layer of protection install Trusteer Rapport

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated. To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?Keep safe :wave:

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey, Essex, well, when going into hibernation last night, I apparently got a blue screen of death -- I didn't even know it, b/c I had shut the laptop & NOT shut down.

Here's the error info Windows gave me when I got into Windows this a.m. Please let me know if you want the dmp and xml files referenced below.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a0
BCP1: 0000000000000009
BCP2: FFFFFFFFC000009C
BCP3: 0000000000000001
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\041913-30123-01.dmp
C:\Users\K-OK\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-81307-0.sysdata.xml

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you zip and attach this minidump please C:\Windows\Minidump\041913-30123-01.dmp

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It happened a 2nd time, so I've included both.

This time, I was in Stand-By mode, and it happened just as the screen was going from black to my desktop. So, basically, just as the desktop appeared -- boom! Blue Screen O' Death.

I believe, since our last interaction, I also did some Video Driver updating. See, the thing that made me discover the whole BITS/Windows Updates issue was that I was going to DL a driver update, but AMD/ATI said to be sure I had the most-recent Windows Update. Upon checking....

So, once things seemed settled, thanks to your help of course, I DL'd the update.

The update did NOT work. I removed it. Made sure to remove any semblance of the original driver & reinstalled the original driver.

So it's very possible that is what's now causing this Blue Screen. And, if it is, we can close this thread, and I'll post elsewhere if you prefer. Or, if you can just pass onto me whatever you can glean from the mini-dumps, I'll reach out to both Dell and AMD w/the info.

Whatever I can do to make things easier...you've given me a LOT of your time, and it's greatly appreciated, Essex.

-Pbot

Attached Files

Edited by Phlegmbott, 20 April 2013 - 02:06 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The one where you had the standby BSOD was where the power manager (I.e. to bring from standby to fully working had a hiccup ) this may just be a one off

The first was were a driver accessed an invalid memory area

If the Video driver has now been installed is the best one you may well find that both of those errors are now resolved

Advertisements

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hm. OK. Thx.

Ever since Dell replaced my motherboard, I've had problem after problem. It's been over a month and everything seems to be moving slower, causing problems.

Is there any kind of diagnostic you can recommend? I've run a couple that are part of the system, and they apparently show everything to be OK...but that's clearly not the case.

Streamed video runs slow, BSODs (or is that BSsoD?), etc. If there's some program that I can run, something that I won't then have to bug you with, when maybe I can understand the results, that'd be great. Does something like that exist??

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
For BSOD analysis I use WhoCrashed this will provide basic data and a link to the relevant MS answers page

It may be worth giving Dell a bit of grief and asking them to repair it properly

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Oh, I plan to. I've been in touch w/a higher-up in at Dell the past (due to other non-tech issues) and plan to reach out to him again.

Is there anything specific you feel I can/should point to? B/c as it stands now, just explaining these sort of abstract crashes and slow-downs, after they've helped me perform all of THEIR known diagnostic analyses, seems like it won't really get me anywhere.

Missing the BITS/Windows Update thing is a software issue...but I'm the computer's been a mess since the motherboard switch-out.

And, btw, another thanks for all of the time and help you've given me. I might donate a bit via your PayPal link, but I'm out of work (for several mos. now), so $$'s tight. But I'm really appreciative of all the time you've given me.

-PBot

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem, glad to be off assistance .. Dell should resolve these problems for you as they are not normal

Phlegmbott

Phlegmbott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
So, OK, I guess what I'm asking at this point is:

1. Do you believe the problems which I initially found (missing BITS, no Windows Update) here were a result of the "cleaning" done after my Virus last year?
2. One dump has to do with errors with my video driver, but the other did not. Is it something I should concerned about at this point?
3. If so, what do I explain to Dell is the issue or do I just show them the dumps?

Thanks for everything!