Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[Urgent!] computer not booting up after recovering quick format

• Please log in to reply

electroman2

electroman2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I by mistake formatted a drive. So I downloaded a format recovery tool. But it was taking too long in scanning so I selected stop and proceeded. It was completed and it said that changes would take place after reboot. But I think it took place on whole hard disk and messed with its file table now it isn't booting and can no longer find Hard disk and says press ctrl alt del to reboot again and again. Please tell me what to do. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Electroman and welcome to Geeks To Go

If the whole machine does not now boot this infers that you somehow managed to format a primary boot drive which should not be possible via a normal windows method.

Please tell us what the operating system is and do you have any reinstallation disks?

electroman2

electroman2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I had three drives c,d,e and win xp was installed on c and 7 on d. I think while doing format recovery, the software changed the file table of the whole hard disk. As of now I do not have any reinstall disks.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Please tell us how you managed to format C: and D:

You didn't use DBan did you?

I am surmising that the E: drive is your optical drive.

electroman2

electroman2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I used testdisk. E drive is hard disk drive. So I wanted to format e drive. I tried but it said that it could be format it. So I restarted the computer and formatted e drive through win 7 recovery that appears when we press f9 or f8. I opened command prompt and did it. But I revolted and saw that win 7 was not loading. So I used win xp and saw that d drive was formatted. So I used format recovery but it was taking so long in scanning or something it said press spacebar to continue
I pressed it when it reached 3.% and continued it said changes will take place after restart. I restarted and now it says a disk error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok the E: hard drive is faulty and that is why it could not format.

I am assuming that the D: drive containing Windows 7 is on another sata connector other than the primary connector that is listed in the bios so it sounds like you have formatted that too.

The machine should still boot ok but now contain XP as the only operating system.

Does this make sense to you?

electroman2

electroman2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

So I used win xp and saw that d drive was formatted. So I used format recovery but it was taking so long in scanning or something it said press spacebar to continue
I pressed it when it reached 3.% and continued it said changes will take place after restart. I restarted and now it says a disk error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
?

electroman2

electroman2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

?

I am no longer able to boot win xp either

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What was the original operating system on the machine, do you have a COA sticker on the machine anywhere?

electroman2

electroman2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Win 7. No

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok

So in theory this box is second hand yes unless you have misplaced the Windows 7 install disk?

electroman2

electroman2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No this box is not second hand and I did misplace win 7 disc but never mind, I bought win 8 and installed it now.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I did say "Unless", however is all good to go now mate?