Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Why not have black ink in the colour cartridge?

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
As my Canon i350 printer will suddenly no longer print from the black cartridge (after cleaning, deep cleaning, printhead flushed out many times) but the colour does and I don't use colour at all these days, what would be the result of later refilling the colour one with black ink?

I don't care if the result has a strange colour, only if the printing will be clear. I suppose the printing will still be much slower as usual with colour printing.

Any advice please - thanks.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Hi.
Google is your friend.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Oh yes thanks for that.

I found just 2 items on this which informed me of the perhaps differing constituents of black and coloured inks which could affect the colour nozzles so I'll just keep on using colour until....

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
If you have the finances Plutox do yourself a favour and obtain a laser printer, they are far superior in terms of cost per page against an ink jet printer.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts
That's a good tip Wolfeymole - actually I do have a mono laser (Samsung 1665) but I feel firing it up (with accompanying steam cloud) to print off only a few lines, which I frequently do, does it no good - am I wrong? I hope so.

Also I still have many black cartridges and the Canon i350 has worked so very well over the years and its duplex function is very straightforward for fiddly jobs compared with the laser which prints duplex in an odd way. (Even the guys in the Samsung showroom in Regents Street, London didn't know the duplex sequence!) Also the Canon cartridges cost about £1.50 and are not chipped. I'm loth to dump it.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Laser printers get hot and in fact the other day I was printing some pages off when my grand daughter said "Your printer is smoking Grand Dad". :lol:

This is perfectly normal for a laser printer mate.

If you can get the colour cart filled with black ink at a reasonable cost then carry on Plutox.