Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Error and VERY SLOW COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Some modules failed but some succeeded.

After running and rebooting, tried windows update again but still same error.

Advertisements

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Do you know if your computer came with Service Pack 1 installed already?

If you don't know, go to Control Panel - Uninstall/Programs and Features, click "View update history".

In that list, see if a Service Pack is listed there Please.

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Nope. Doesn't seem to have a Windows SP installed.

Attached Thumbnails

• Updates.jpg

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Nuts. Any chance you have, or can borrow, a Windows 7 SP1 DVD, to do a sort of over the top repair?

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I've tried asking around, but none of my friends have a Windows 7 SP1 DVD :(

Any other alternatives to fix this problem?

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Go here and download "Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 (bootable)".

If you don't know how to burn a bootable disk iso file, follow the steps at the bottom here. Post back when ready.

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok. Bootable DVD done.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Very good. Follow the steps here under:

5. Repair Installed Windows 7 SP1 using Windows 7 with SP1 DVD/USB

Post back an update after on how things are running. Best post a fresh OTL log as well please.

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Will be away again for a few days. Will post back once I've completed the steps.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Safe travels (assuming you are), and post when ready.

Advertisements

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi. Facing additional problems. :wacko:

Wanted to perform the steps I was required to do last night. However, when I switched on my computer the following happened:

• During the bootup stage, it said something like this "Windows unable to start due to software or hardware problems. If it was due to a power shortage, you may choose "Start Windows Normally". If not, please run Startup Repair (Recommended)".
  • I followed the advice, and ran the Startup Repair. It searched for problems and attempted to repair disk errors. During the repair stage, it mentioned that it might take more than an hour. When I returned to my computer, it attempted to automatically reboot my computer (guess it is normal), but it however return to the screen in step 1 above.
  • This time, I selected "Start Windows Normally" (assuming it had already repaired the errors). Unfortunately it still returned back to the same screen in Step 1.
  • I ran the Startup Repair again, but this time it took very long in the "Searching for problems" stage. After about 2 hours, I checked on my computer, and it is still at the same stage. It wasn't freezing, as the indicator bar was still moving. However, I noticed that the "disk/processor running indicator"(on the keyboard of my laptop) wasn't blinking. It should blink if it is running/processing/scanning right?
  • I then pressed "Cancel", and then the window closed. But nothing happened after that. Next, I turned the power off and restarted my computer. And again, it went to the prompt in Step 1.
  • I then decided to run the "Startup Repair" again and leave it on for the night to see what happens. When I woke up this morning (after leaving it on for about 6-7 hours, it was at the Repairing Disk Errors stage. But similar to step 4, the "disk/processor running indicator" wasn't blinking although the indicator bar on the screen is still moving.

Hope I managed to articulate well enough for you to understand what is going on.

I'm currently unable to even access Windows to perform the earlier steps with the bootable disk. Will the bootable disk that I created earlier help under my current situation?

P/S: Posting this using a computer at my workplace

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
I'll have to take some time to take this all in, since I can't exclude hardware issues at this point. I will post back tomorrow. My apologies for your arriving at this current situation, and we will correct things.

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Ok. Will wait for your advice. By the way, I tried to switch on my computer again and start windows normally. Managed to catch a glimpse of a blue screen appearing before it went back to the prompt asking me to do a startup repair.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Try StartUp Repair again, but using the DVD you created - see here. Because it does not run for the hard drive itself, it is better able to actually repair things. (I just made that up, but it matches what I have experienced).

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Did the startup repair via the dvd. Didn't manage to complete the repair on my first attempt (same problem as per before).

Tried again and managed to complete the repair. Upon restart it still prompted me to do the repair again as Windows failed to start. Did the repair one more time and restarted after completing but still prompts me to do the startup repair again.