Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Error and VERY SLOW COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
A little late in the ballgame, but check if System Restore is available, and Restore back before a time the problems started.

Reboot using the DVD, select System Recovery Options, then select System Restore.

Advertisements

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
As expected, no system restore points found. Anyway, I don't remember creating one before. :(

Edited by kenchew, 19 May 2013 - 01:44 AM.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

Press a key when you are prompted.

Click Repair your computer.

Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

At the prompt type:

chkdsk /r

If it tells you the drive is in use, type "Y" to allow the system to close out all handles to the drive, and run check disk.

Reboot after, hopefully to Windows.

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
At the command prompt it was defaulted to x: drive. Tried running checkdisk but it said it was write protected. Then I changed the command prompt drive to c drive by typing "c:" (hope I didn't mess up)

Pressed y when it prompted. Ran checkdisk and it found no errors. Rebooted but still ended up on the screen that prompts me to do a startup repair.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
I should have mentioned checking the drive letters before running check disk. Acer's typically have an extra partition or two, so what is the C drive in the Recovery Environment may not be what you think.

Return to the Recovery Environment, and check that please. For example, enter at the prompt (hitting Enter after each):

c:

dir

The "dir" command will show the folders in that "C" partition. If it is the true "C", it should have a Users folder, and a Windows folder. If it doesn't, try E: etc.

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
True enough. C: didn't contain the windows folder. But on my attempt to change the drive to e:, it states "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
True enough. C: didn't contain the windows folder. But on my attempt to change the drive to e:, it states "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Sounds like a failing hard drive.

Reboot, and as the system boots press the Alt key and the F10 key. This should take you to the Recovery Manager. See if you can run the hard drive diagnostics from there.

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Managed to reach Acer eRecovery Management after a few attempts. They only gave one option "completely restore system to factory defaults: Restore your PC to factory default status. All data on C: will be deleted". The other option "Restore Operating System and Retain User Data" was blacked out.

So, do I proceed with the 1st option? Means I've to reinstall all my programs if this succeeds?

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
That's of course a last solution, since it will remove all user data. We can develop a handy means of offloading all that though, if needed.

From and eHow link here (don't go there unless you have to - it's a messy ad web page), so questionable how much it actually fits:

the hard drive is to restart the computer and press the "F2" key during startup. Once the setup utility comes up, go to the diagnostic menu and run a test on the hard drive.

The other suggestions were F10 or F12 at bootup.

Advertisements

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Wasn't able to find the diagnostic menu that they were mentioning. Pressing F2 brought me to the bios setup. F12 requested me to choose the boot device.

F10 brought me to Windows Boot Manager where there is a windows memory diagnostic tool (is this the diagnostic tool you were referring to?). Anyway, tried this test and it didn't seem to detect any problems. When it restarted automatically, I returned to the same sceeen that prompt me for a startup repair because windows failed to load.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
The hard drive is usually stored under a panel that shows a symbol of stacked discs. Can you remove that cover, and post back here the brand of drive, so we can create a drive check disk?

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
The brand should be western digital. The hdd model is WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Okay, here. WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows. Download it and burn it to a CD, then boot the problem computer from it. Hopefully the instructions on it are self-explanatory, though there is a .pdf download for those as well. See if you can check the hard drive.

kenchew

kenchew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Burned the files into a cd but it couldn't boot from it. I thentried to execute the file from command prompt but it said that the subsystem needed to support the image type is not present. Wonder if I actually should download the data lifeguard diagnostic for DOS instead?

Edited by kenchew, 24 May 2013 - 10:22 PM.