Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless connection gets lost intermitently

• Please log in to reply

mraskin

mraskin

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Hi there
I have Toshiba Satelite M60-BK300E laptop that I recently restored with its original Recovery CD. I did all the WinXP upgrade and updates from Toshiba website as well (new BIOS, wireless drive and few other drives)
Everything works fine with exception of the wireless connection. Several times within one hour the laptop looses the wireless connection such way that it forgets the Network key. So each time I need to type the Network key over and over. However sometimes the wireless connection stays solid for hours.
Also I have 2 other laptops that are working just fine at the same moments when my Toshiba gets disconnected.
What can be done in order to keep the wireless connection solid?

Edited by mraskin, 11 April 2013 - 03:38 PM.

Advertisements

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
can anyone help?

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
please somebody help :help:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello mraskin

It could be software or hardware related so I suggest checking software first.
Have you checked the status of the device in the Device Manager, any yellow ! or red X against the device.

Is the device set to Auto Connect, having to keep entering the Network Key suggests that the NIC is being disabled somehow, this would normally involve you disabling the device in the settings or physically switching it off by using the notebooks on/off switch.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Hello phillpower2
Thanks allot for your attention to my post :thumbsup:
Device Manager doesn't have any yellow ! or red X
Network Setting are set to connect automaticaly to my network.
And the physical switch is always in ON position.
Just incase, my Network adapter has driver - Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG (version 9.0.4.39) which I loaded from here http://support.toshi...eless/index.htm

Another observation, when I get disconnected from the WiFi there are 2 scenarios:
1) sometimes the Network Key is completely gone, so I have to retype it twice
2) sometimes the Network Key is still there, so all I need is to click on the Connect button

Edited by mraskin, 14 April 2013 - 07:09 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
How are you connecting to the internet as in is it through a wireless router.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
Yes, via wireless router.
Note: I have 3 other laptops that are also connected via the same router and all 3 have no issues with the WLAN connection.

Edited by mraskin, 17 April 2013 - 02:48 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Yes, via wireless router.
Note: I have 3 other laptops that are also connected via the same router and all 3 have no issues with the WLAN connection.

If you can, try and borrow a wireless USB dongle like the example @ http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16833315091
Turn off the notebooks wireless switch, install the software for the wireless dongle (if required) connect the dongle when instructed to and then see if the notebook has the same problems as what you are having at present.

Let us know how it goes.

NB: Can I just check that after you did the reinstallation that you also reinstalled any software provided by your ISP to enable the notebook to pair with the router.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I've read the reviews from the people who purchased this dongle and it appears that it looses the connection quite often. Hence we will not be able to determine objectively what is happening with my laptop.

There is no ISP specific software in order to connect to the router.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Sorry if I was in some way misconstrued.

I was merely suggesting an alternative means of connecting the computer to the internet and in no way suggesting that you purchase anything.

Using a wireless dongle will identify if the present wireless device (NIC) is the issue or not.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
no worries I understood you well. But my point was that if this dongle looses intermitently the WLAN connection (as per reviews) we will not be able to determine what is really happening with my laptop's wireless card.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I was hoping that you knew a friend or family member that used a wireless dongle that you could borrow for testing purposes, the one at the link that I provided was only an example for others who may read your topic looking for help themselves.

mraskin

mraskin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I don't have friends that use such gadget, nowadays all laptops have wireless cards built in. Is there any other way to chech?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You could take the notebook to a friend or relatives who has a wireless router and connect to that to see if you have the same problem.

If you do it may suggest that the notebooks onboard NIC is the issue.