Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS problem, Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

When you restart the computer keep tapping the F8 key to see if you can access the BIOS, if no joy repeat the procedure but keep tapping the Del or Esc key.

Having read the user manual for the MB I note that it is tapping the Delete key while the computer is attempting to POST that gets you into the BIOS, did you try this as I suggested in my reply #13?

NB: It can be tricky getting into the BIOS sometimes so you may need to restart the computer a couple of times before you gain access.

Yes, I've tried what you suggested and I'm still greeted by a black screen (regardless of what key I press and however many times I restarted the computer)

Edited by Escalus, 15 April 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Can you restart your computer and try tapping the tab key to see if it brings up any other BIOS details while the computer is attempting to complete the POST.

Escalus

Escalus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Can you restart your computer and try tapping the tab key to see if it brings up any other BIOS details while the computer is attempting to complete the POST.

I've just finished trying it out and the verdict:

the black screen of annoyance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
Sorry but I am out of suggestions other than to return the MB as apart from the CPU it is one item that you cannot test yourself and you appear certain that the CPU is good.

A bad BIOS chip could cause this sort of behavior and this will most likely be the first thing that is checked by ASUS if the MB is returned.

Has the BIOS ever been flashed or the computer overclocked.