Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to split a wired broadband connection. Please help.

• Please log in to reply

gerber44

gerber44

• Pip
  • 2 posts
At my witts end. My wife got an old laptop from her dad. We did a factory restore on it. We already have a wired broadband connection to our desktop. Our friend gave us another modem type thing. You plug the ethernet cable into the uplink port, and then you have 4 other ports to plug ethernet cables in and then into other computers. Well I can get it to work on the laptop or the desktop. Everything I believe is wired correctly. But when the desktop has connection, the laptop will not. In order to get the laptop to have a connection, I need to restart my Broadband modem and then it will. But the desktop will no longer be connected. The laptop when I went into network connections has 3 different options. Wireless, Local Area Connection, and 1394 connection ( which I do not know what that is. I originally disabled the wireless and the 1394, and enabled the LAC. I was not able to connect to the internet that way. What I ended up doing was bridging the LAC and the 1934 and restart the modem and the laptop and then we would have connectivity. Not sure if the way I set the connection up is the problem but I need help please.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It sounds like what your friend gave you is a router/modem combination but is it wireless?

In this example of my setup at home I have a wireless router/modem which my desktop unit is hard wired to, ethernet connected in other words.

When I am working on any wireless laptops I then connect to the router by searching for wireless access points and input the passord once done so.

Have you tried doing it this way, remember you must have the wireless turned on on the laptop.

N-R

N-R

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hiya
another thing that may happen is you may have an IP address conflict simply changing 1 of the computers IP's would help solve this if it is this causing it. So changing 1 IP to 192.168.1.3 may help. Of course it may be nothing to do with this but the more things you can eliminate the less things it could be.

Open network and sharing

then click change adapter settings

then right click the network card and select properties from the menu

A little window will then pop up and you should then highlight Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4)

Now click properties

Check use the following IP address: box and fill in the. You will need to check the addresses for your set up.

IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.3

SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

DEFAULT GATEWAY: 192.168.1.0

It's worth a try.

Hope that's of some help
Nick