Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plugged in not charging

• Please log in to reply

duscarter

duscarter

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Been having this issue on my Dell Latitude D830 since upgrading to Windows 8. I have read people had this issue with Win 7 also, but I never did. It started happening after I upgraded.

I have tried everything suggested on Google.

Issue comes and goes for no apparent reason. At 0% now and it could stay there for a few hours or a week, then it will read plugged in and charging and go all the way to 100%. I don't normally let it get to 0%. It does the same thing at any percent.

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I bet that you found no one really seems to know why this is happening Duscarter.

In theory the laptop would shut down well before it got to 0% so if the laptop works ok even though the reading is zero than I wouldn't worry too much about it.

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the reply, I doubt it too, but there are many smart people on this website. I use it plugged in most of the time anyway. My battery is less than a year old.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Then let us hope that we hear from them mate. :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello folks not smart but hope I will do ;)

See if you can recalibrate the battery and if that resolves the issue, see below;

Restart the system.

When your screen comes on look for a message on the screen that says Press F2 to enter Setup.
Tap [F2] repeatedly until you see the BIOS screen. If your computer boots to Windows, repeat this procedure again and be sure to hit [F2] as soon as the F2 message appears on the screen.
Press the [->] (Right arrow key) to go to the Power page in the BIOS.
Look for Battery auto-learning.
Enable the Learning option
Press the down arrow key on your keyboard to highlight the option
Press the [-] (minus sign) to Enable

NB: As an asides the behavior has possibly been caused by prolonged connection to the mains power, inside the battery is a memory chip which registers the amount of energy that the battery cells have stored, if you leave the mains power connected for long periods the memory chip expects there to be a 100% charge 100% of the time, this eventually causes the chip to start misbehaving in various ways.

duscarter

duscarter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Nice info Phillpower2! I went into the BIOS and there were two sections about the battery, but neither one had the auto-learning option. It said both were information only.

I do leave the laptop plugged in most of the time. I would buy another battery, but I am up to 94% and not charging. It was at 100% until I unplugged it for a little bit.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Unplug and let the battery drain until the computer shuts down. Wait a bit, 10 minutes or so then plug it and power up. Now the battery should charge and everything should be in sync so the charge indicator should be reasonable accurate.

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi,

I've seen this issue with a Lenovo machine but the fault was in Windows itself. It was because the ACPI driver had become corrupt.

What I did to fix my issues was:

Shutdown the laptop.
Remove battery.
Connect power cable.
Turn on the computer.
Open the start menu.
Click run.
Type "devmgmt.msc"
Press enter.

This will open device manager.

Expand the Batteries category.
Right-click on the entry for "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery".
Select Uninstall. (Don't worry when you restart your computer, Windows will reinstall these drivers)
Click OK.
Repeat for all entries for "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery"

Expand System Devices.
Right-click the “ACPI Fixed Features Button"
Select Uninstall. (Don't worry when you restart your computer, Windows will reinstall these drivers)
Click OK. It may mention about restarting the computer, just click no for now.

Shutdown the laptop.
Unplug the laptop from the mains.
Put the battery back in.
Connect the power cable.
Turn on the computer.

Check to see if this fixes your issue.

Thank you, Masher.