Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dead Laptop

• Please log in to reply

angels-high

angels-high

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

Recenly have a problem with my Laptop. :tazz:

I powered it on ...no problems, I moved it and it went off. Now when I turn it on it tries to come on, then goes off but I can still hear the fan on. I then need to hold down the power button and sometimes it goes off.

Is this a screen Problem?? or is something else knackered

Any help appreciated

A-H :help: ;) :help:

Advertisements

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
It might help others if you can list out the type/make of your laptop and how you run it and whether you have it plugged in or not, caus mine finally had the battery stop workin correctly for some reason and i have to leave it plugged in like a desktop otherwise it looses power immediately an goes off like that!

:tazz:

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
i had the same problem with a laptop and it turned out to be a dry joint inside where the wires connect to the battery bay..

i repaired it and all was fine.

Edited by stuart813, 07 June 2005 - 03:45 AM.

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
ooooooooops ;)

Forgot that,

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 Running XP. I have this problem with or without the power cord (on Batttery)

It tries to start, lights flash but then nothing. Then When I think its off I can hear the fan whizzing, then I need to keep holding down the power button until I can hear thats its off :tazz:

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Wow, Stuart might have a good resolution... i dont have much of an idea how to do it.. but perhaps you could pm him to walk you through it... if it goes on then then flops out it may be bios but i always thought if bios failed it would restart and fail again etc etc.. Try finding the smaller cmos battery or whatever its called on your mother board, then pop it out an pop it back in to reset bios....try pming Stuart for the walk through of his advice first though, seroiusly.

Edited by Destructo Roboto, 07 June 2005 - 01:38 PM.

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

Thanks for the replies. I opened the Laptop up last night, undid all the screws but was unable to totally take off the cover as there were cables preventing it from happening. So I was unable to get any further. When I put it back to togther I pressed the power button....same thing couple of flashes of the lights then nothing but the Fan was still whizzing around. Pressed the power button again and the Fan stopped.

It might be cheaper to get new one ??

Thanks for help and advice

A-H :tazz:

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
dont get new 1 try to repair....

the cables restricting access will have to be disconnected to gain access... this is a relatively simple job if you have the confidence..don't despair have a go ....especially if you are thinking of buying a new 1 as you have nothing to lose... i know if this is the fault i would repair this in the shop for bout 30 quid..its not gaurenteed to be an expensive job..

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
if you need any help i would be glad to assist..

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Stuart

Thanks for help, will give it a go and see whats happens...will report back if I have problems, If I cant do it and its not obvious what the problem is , is it worth bringing to PC World or somewhere like that ? - would they charge a fortune ??

stuart813

stuart813

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
i would if possible take it to a smaller shop the larger places like that are more expensive.....

and you're welcome

Edited by stuart813, 08 June 2005 - 07:14 AM.

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

Update....Took it apart and nothing seemed wrong. Put it back to gether and suddenly it worked...then it didnt....then it did...then it didnt.. then it did....you get the picture :tazz:

It seems to be clicking under or beside the CD slot. Whe I press or move, then it goes off and when I press it again it lights up but no screen.....and then hold down power to switch off fan.

Went to computer shops and was told "We dont repair Laptops" Send it back to Dell

I give up ..... ;)

Cant wait for ;)

Just realised this is where the HD sits...could be a power supply problem to the HD

Edited by angels-high, 10 June 2005 - 01:38 AM.

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I dont know, im not much of an expert... :tazz: .... perhaps if you checked with a .... errr... buy a new laptop? ;)

;) ;)

Sorry, I cant really think of anything, why dont you ebay shop for awhile and try to buy a repair manuel for your laptop... perhaps you might find you answere in it... you could also try takin a chance and hoping to get working hardware when buying repair parts if you wana try replacing whatever you find is annoying in it.

Once agian sorry. :tazz:

Edited by Destructo Roboto, 11 June 2005 - 12:18 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I suggest that if the laptop is still under warranty, then return it to Dell. Make sure you haven't voided the warranty when you took it apart though.

If you can't return it, then I suggest try taking out the hard drive & checking the connections etc there.
It definately sounds like a some sort of bad connection, either a dry joint, a short or just a loose connection somewhere.

The hard drive in your laptop is located in the rear left corner. Unplug the power & remove battery first. Unscrew the two retaining screws & slide the drive out.

I don't know how much you will be able to tell from looking in the drive bay or at the drive itself, but may be worth a shot. Make sure that nothing rattling around loose in the laptop. You could also try booting it up without the drive inserted to see if that affects the problem.

The ram in your Dell is situated between the hard drive & the CDROM drive. If you flip the laptop upside down, you should see an access panel underneath, located on the same side as the two drives but slightly behind them in the centre. Remove the 2 screws (the one marked with an 'O' first, then the one on the panel itself).

Check that the memory modules are secure etc.

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

Thanks for feedback..

Samm..... What should I expect to find on boot up with no HDD ?

angels-high

angels-high

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi

Will check RAM seated as well

Edited by angels-high, 13 June 2005 - 07:59 AM.