Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Lubuntu Laptops for use with Xbmc

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
I've Googled and searched and experimented a ton but this is frustrating me so I came here for help. I'm a Lubuntu/Linux newbie so I'm looking for a solution that isn't totally over my head. I have a 1 TB USB Western digital hard drive with aNTFS Filesytem filled with content hooked up to my Lubuntu laptop HTPC living room setup. I also have a Lubuntu HTPC netbook setup in my bedroom that I would like to be able to sync up to the content on the 1TB harddrive. My problem is that I cant seem to be able to figure out how to make it work.

My steps so far -

1. I used Samba (version on lubuntu software center with a GUI) to set up the USB harddrive as a shared folder.
2. Installed xbmc Frodo to my netbook bedroom setup
3. Under Im able to use xbmc "add video source" to "browse" to the SMB->workgroup> but it wont let me access the living room HTPCs files.
4 It brings up a lock settings box and asks me for username and password.
5 I input the username and password of my living room HTPC but nothing happens.

Im not super strong on the terminal being a totally linux newbie.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Edited by brisingr, 12 April 2013 - 06:32 PM.

Advertisements

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Ahh fixed it. Finally! Had to use "sudo smbpasswrd -a" To set a smb password for the username of the host computer. I guess haha. Sometimes I feel like I'm just guessing when i do things on Linux ....

Edited by brisingr, 13 April 2013 - 11:26 AM.