Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Delete FAT Partition from Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

I have a USB connected WDC 250Mb Hard Drive that has a DELL FAT partition on it that I would like to delete and use the recovered space for the NTFS partition on it. My OS is XP Home Edition with service pack 3.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,755 posts
Gday barneyhelper.
The below will totally wipe all information from the disk, so if you want to save DATA from the NTFS partition, backup elsewhere.
This is an introduction and how to for using Disk Management in Window XP, > http://www.directron...matdrive.html#4
From the above site, this is the link to Microsoft Disk Management you are going to use, > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

Go to, > How to use Disk Management, follow the instructions to open Disk Management.

Go to, > How to delete a partition or a logical drive.
Select the FAT32 partition and delete.
Select the NTFS Partition and delete.

Go to< > How to create a new partition or a new logical drive
Use this option, > To create a new partition, right-click unallocated space on the basic disk where you want to create the partition, and then click New Partition.
> 2. In the New Partition Wizard, click Next.
> 3. Click the type of partition that you want to create (Primary partition) then click Next.
> 4. Specify the size of the partition in the Partition size in MB box, (same as unallocated space for 1 partition.)and then click Next.
> 5. manually assign a drive letter, and then click Next.
> 6. to format the partition, click Format this partition with the following settings, and then complete the following procedure in the Format dialog box:
> a. Type a name for the volume in the Volume label box.
> b. Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box. (NTFS)
> Select, perform a quick format.
> click Next. > click OK. Click Finish.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Hello jammykyl,

Your directions are correct if the partition I wanted to delete was a FAT32 partition. Unfortunately, it is a FAT or FAT16 partition that XP's Disk Management program cannot delete. It sees it as a FAT partition, but cannot carry out any action on it. My guess is that any action on it would have to be done from DOS. My BIOS does recognize the USB connected hard drive.

Any ideas?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Try Easeus Partition Free
It is a free program and works quite well.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Hello 123runner,

Thank you, I was able to get rid of the FAT16 partition using EASEUS Partition software, unfortunately I was unable to add the unallocated portion left behind to my existing NTFS partition.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,755 posts
Gday.
Try the following,

• Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
  • Type diskpart then hit Enter
  • Type list disk then hit Enter
  • Type select disk X then hit Enter <==== Where X is the disk # contained the partition you want to delete
  • Type DETAIL DISK to show the volumes (partitions) within the disk
  • Type SELECT VOLUME X, where X is the volume you want to delete
  • Type delete partition override then hit Enter
  • Type Exit then hit Enter
  • Now try again to merge the partitions.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
You need to format the unallocated space before you can increase the existing partition Barney.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Thank You All for your help. Now that I've learned how to use EASEUS, I've solved my problems.

Thanks again

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
On behalf of the contributing members Barney thank you. :thumbsup: