Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup query

• Please log in to reply

serida

serida

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi,
When I startup my laptop I receive the following message:, ''How do you want to open this file? Use this application for all disabled files''
Nothing else, so how on earth am I supposed to know what file is trying to be opened? I can click on the desktop & the message will disappear but would like to know how I can resolve this.
Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Any icons in the TaskBar that might give you a clue? What about looking at the Processes tab in Task Manager, see if anything there helps.

Also, run msconfig and look in the Startup tab, see what is starting when you boot. If you want some help lookinh at the Startup items, run StartupList and post the results here.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Any icons in the TaskBar that might give you a clue? What about looking at the Processes tab in Task Manager, see if anything there helps.

Also, run msconfig and look in the Startup tab, see what is starting when you boot. If you want some help lookinh at the Startup items, run StartupList and post the results here.

Thank you very much for your reply.There are about four icons by the notification area & they look okay.
I have gone into task manager & checked the startup list. There are quite a lot of items in there.I obviously do not know which one is trying to be opened & why it would need to be opened on startup.I can only think of disabling all of them & enabling one at a time to see which one is the problem but that seems a longwinded way of checking.
Is there any particular ones that should not be disabled, in other words I don't want to disable if it cannot load properly.
Thank you.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Post the list from the Startuplist program and I can take a look.

I would disable them half at a time then reboot. That should make it easy to id the culprit.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Post the list from the Startuplist program and I can take a look.

I would disable them half at a time then reboot. That should make it easy to id the culprit.

Thank you yet again for replying.
Still no joy so am uploading results which I hope may be of help.
I have a fair amount of knowledge of windows having used from 95 upwards. I know that if I try to open something with an unknown extension I will be asked what do I want to open it with. However when I get asked that as the desktop appears after startup I don't know what the file is.
Attached File  startuplist.txt   88.77KB   190 downloads

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
So did you disable everything under the Startup tab? If so then when your rebooted you still got the error popup?

Use msconfig again but this time click the Services tab. Check the Hide all Microsoft services. Record what is currently starting then disable all. Reboot and see what happens.

If neither of these actions makes any difference then it's not something starting at boot time or at least nothing you can control via msconfig.

If it does get rid of the error then I'll look through your Startuplist and see if anything stands out.

Things like:

MailWasherPro.lnk
SplashKillerRunner.lnk

Install LastPass FF RunOnce.lnk
Install LastPass IE RunOnce.lnk

are worth looking at.

serida

serida

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

So did you disable everything under the Startup tab? If so then when your rebooted you still got the error popup?

Use msconfig again but this time click the Services tab. Check the Hide all Microsoft services. Record what is currently starting then disable all. Reboot and see what happens.

If neither of these actions makes any difference then it's not something starting at boot time or at least nothing you can control via msconfig.

If it does get rid of the error then I'll look through your Startuplist and see if anything stands out.

Things like:

MailWasherPro.lnk
SplashKillerRunner.lnk

Install LastPass FF RunOnce.lnk
Install LastPass IE RunOnce.lnk

are worth looking at.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply again.
Got it! One happy bunny!!

In startup via task manager the first entry enabled is named 'Check for updates.Ink Opening the file location it is part of LastPass & in the folder it is described as a disabled shortcut.In task manager it was enabled, as soon as I disabled it & restarted it was fine. Enabled one more time, problem returned, disabled again & its gone.
I have only just joined this forum & I am very grateful for your assistance. Such a simple solution but just knowing where to look.
Thank you.