Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Repair Windows XP failure

• Please log in to reply

boomerk

boomerk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Initiated the Windows Repair process utilizing the original Dell install disk for my XPS630 hoping it would repair my no sound problem. The disc was for SP2, although I had upgraded to SP3 and all of the updates. The process went as your outline described until the bitter end where it goes to a black screen with the small windows logo and says wait. After waiting almost an hour, with that screen not changing, I turned the computer off assuming it must have hung. On reboot it loaded, (although still no sound) and indicated my Microsoft security essentials was turned off. Trying to turn it on does not work. I tried to access Windows update/Microsoft update and got the message "The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context". When I look in Control Panel Add/Remove Programs, Windows is not listed anymore, however the System Properties splash screen indicates "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2." My computer still works for some things since I am on it now and at least the firewall is apparently active. I did try to re-initiate the Repair process, but when it started the load process of files it aborted after a few with an error message I failed to copy. Any ideas or is a complete and clean install the only option????

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hello Boomerk and welcome to Geeks To Go

Which procedure did you follow to repair XP?

Have a read of this......

http://michaelsteven...pairinstall.htm

boomerk

boomerk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I used XP Repair install as described in the attachment

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok I would suggest a clean install as we could be here all day discussing aspects.

Have a read of this unless you have already read it.

http://michaelsteven...nxpinstall.html

boomerk

boomerk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, I read that article and I think the clean install is the answer. Thanks for the info.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Just a pointer for you, although you probably know this.

After the initial message to "Press any key to boot from cdrom" do NOT press any key when it asks again on subsequent reboots.