Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to restore Compaq desktop to Factory Settings?

• Please log in to reply

DandyDon

DandyDon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a friend who has a Compaq Presario S5300NX desktop, with a Windows XP operating system. It needs to be restored to remove all pop-up programs and junk which makes the computer too slow to use. He has the factory restore disks, but when I tried to use them, it came up "This is not a Compaq Computer" and would not work. It does have another XP system stored in a different partition on the hard drive, but I do not know how to access and use it. Could you help me?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
By stored, do you mean it was installed there or copied there? If copied then it's unlikely to boot.

Post a screen shot of a full screen Disk Management window please.

To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

CAPTURE - How to capture screen images (screen shots), Windows Made Easy

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

DandyDon

DandyDon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply. I later found that the "System Restore" that came with the computer. When I tried to use them, it came up "This is not a Compaq Computer". It also mentioned Windows 95, so I believe that is what is in the partition on the hard disk. I worked with the XP version for several hours, and was able to get it workable. Thanks for your help.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Don't understand what you said but glad you have it working. Good luck.